We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information needed

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Information needed

Hi, I haven't been to costa rica before iv been readin through some of the forum and I'm a bit lost.

Hoping someone can help or suggest places to visit. Me and my friend late 20s are thinking of visiting in october for a week and then onto cancun, we are looking to relax and do some day trips, watersports and hav a night out. Where would 2 young girls start??

Thanks

Leah

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information needed

October is one of the rainiest months in Costa Rica. And most of CR attractions are outdoor type. Best bet would be Caribbean part, between Cahuita and Manzanillo, with Puerto Viejo in between. Quite a lively vibe, good food, some affordable lodgings, and mostly youngish and European crowd there.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Information needed

Ok thank you.. Sad that its the wettest. Are there good beaches that side??

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information needed

I agree, probably October is the worst months to travel to costa Rica :-( It CAN be raining a lot. But usually the caribbean coast in that time has less rain than other parts. The beaches are great around Puerto Viejo- for example Playa Cocles. From there you could do a one day tour to Manzanillo, a small quiet town with a beautiful beach and a nature reserve where you can go for hiking and see animals such as sloths, birds etc. I love the caribbean coast, you will enjoy Puerto Viejo a lot, carbbean feeling, delicious food, nice quiet beaches

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information needed

It is very easy to get to PV from San Jose. There is a public bus which is direct with only a stop for a bathroom break. Also Interbus (shuttle) is an option. Once you are in PV most people get around via bicycle, bus or taxi. Fun town with lovely beaches nearby, horseback rides in the "jungle", lots of wildlife along the road between PV, Punta Uva and Manzanillo and Jaguar Rescue Preserve where if you are lucky you can play with a monkey and feed a baby sloth! Fun options there. I will say I spent 10 days this past Oct in the San Jose/Central Valley area and there was only one day that it rained more than an hour so don't be discouraged. Weather is unpredictable and everything was green and lovely. CR is quite different than Cancun.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information needed

The Caribbean side of Costa Rica is great in October, best weather of the year and for sure better than other parts of Costa Rica. Check out http://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/ lot of good information on the Puerto Viejo area.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information needed

You're not going to tell me an Irish girl can't deal with a little rain! All joking aside, as others have mentioned, the Caribbean coast is usually at its best in September/October and so you may well find it sunny ans hot for your whole holiday. Even if it does rain, it isn't cold. You'll find snorkeling, some fun nightlife and day trips could include the Bri Bri waterfall/chocolate tour, the Jaguar and/or Sloth Sanctuary and the Cahuita National Park. You'll have a craic (if that's the right way to use the word)!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Information needed

Thank you all that is so helpful..

The rain doesnt bother us much but im leavin Ireland to get away from it haha.

Would u recommend doin an all inclusive resort or lik self catering lodges?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information needed

Definitively stay away from AI. Anyway there are none on the Caribbean side. Most lodgings includes breakfast, some also offers a kitchenette if you fancy cooking while on vacation. Coming to Costa Rica and staying at an AI is a similar mistake as coming to Ireland and not staying at a B&B (have done both countries in a proper way).

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information needed

NO No No pls don't stay at an AI in Costa Rica! Enjoy the local casual restaurants. Ck out Banana Azul near PV..safe and clean and from the sounds of it a lot of fun! I wanted to stay there last yr but they were full ;-( Korrigan's is another often recommended place. You can rent bikes and explore during daylight hours, taxi after dark! We always enjoy at least a fridge and coffee pot in the room....convenient for happy hour (beer, wine, water) and early morning coffee/tea and also a money saver. Lots of places will have it. Ck out trip advisor lodging reviews for Puerto Viejo and Punta Uva areas...I enjoyed Toucanstay in Punta Uva. VERY clean and steps from the beach, ac and kitchenette with a small Pulperia (store) just across the street. They do have bikes but it is a bit far from town if you are looking for some nightlife. I would not be comfortable biking or walking those dark roads at night! Taxi is avail but can add up quickly.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Information needed

Thank you so much for ur help :)