We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf camps - recommendation

Brussels, Belgium
4 posts
Save Topic
Surf camps - recommendation

Hi everybody,

I will be in Costa Rica for 15 days in the first half of April. I am a beginner surfer and I would like to spend at least one week in a surf camp, but as the choice is huge, I would really apperciate any tips or advices. I will be travelling on my own so I would prefere a sociable place where it would be easy to meet other travelers/surfers and do other activties (yoga, trips...) I have heard that Jaco, Dominical and Tamarindo are the best spots...

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Jana

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
San Diego, CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf camps - recommendation

Hi Jana,

I can tell you that the spots you mention are VERY busy and crowded / touristy areas. Take a look at Nosara area...amazing surf community. With excellent surf schools too. Check out Safari Surf School...www.safarisurschool.com and I think you will like what you see and read on Trip Advisor!

Have fun!!!

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf camps - recommendation

For a beginner, I think the waves at Tamarindo and Nosara are the gentlest... Jaco (and Playa Hermosa) and Dominical can be a bit brutal at times.

Between Nosara and Tamarindo, I'd second Safari's recommendation of Nosara. Less crowds, more peaks, and several good schools/camps.

In addition to Safari, I like Del Mar Surf Academy a lot...

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Nosara
Nosara
Playa Hermosa
Playa Hermosa
Brussels, Belgium
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf camps - recommendation

Thank you very much for the tips. I have alrady had a look at some of the camps in the two areas you suggested, and all seemed great, so I am sure I am gonna have a great time :-).

All the best from Brussels,

Jana

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
4. Re: Surf camps - recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 17, 2014