We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for second trip?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for second trip?

Hi all! Good to see the regulars are stil on here! We are two adults and two boys (13 and 10) thinking of returning to CR in mid-August. Due to prior obligations, we would only have 9 days/8 nights. Of course, we would have to stay near the airport the first and last night so that leaves us with 6 nights. Last time we had more time and went to Monteverde, Arenal, Bosque del Cabo, and MA. We would like to go back to Arenal because we loved the hot springs and never did get to Hanging Bridges or the waterfall. But I would also like to try someplace new. Tortuguero seemed like a good option, but it takes so long to get there and seems kinda pricey. Maybe a new beach location? I'm open to suggestions.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Korrigan's Lodge only accommodates 3 people per cabin, and I don't think we'd want to split up into 2 cabins. But the owner of Korrigan very nicely sent me a list of recommendations, and Play Negra Guesthouse in Cahuita looks perfect for us! I'm looking into their availability. Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I'm getting very excited about this trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Around Tortuguero...you can check...Mawamba Lodge...LAguna Lodge...PAchira Lodge...Turtle beach lodge...do not pay overrated lodges...for unknown reasons some are lot more expensive...and do not even offer a good location!

roadadivsor

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Turtle Beach Lodge looks really good. Thanks for that suggestion.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Tortuga Lodge is definitely worth the money. You will get the best guides in small groups, and the food and lodging are top notch. Check out their reviews.

We would like to go back.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Shooie, did you eat all your meals at the lodge? Or did you only opt to have some meals there?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ideas for second trip?

We had all meals there because the package was pretty reasonable. There was a lot of food, though, and you could probably opt for a two meal plan. The food was among the best we've had in Costa Rica. Check out the penthouse for the four of you.

chicago
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Also, take a look at La Kukula Lodge in Playa Chiquita! We'll be staying in Casa Kukula, a 3 bed, 2 bath house with private swimming pool next month! I probably shouldn't recommend a place I haven't been, but the reviews are great and Pepo has been very helpful through email. I know it's going to be wonderful!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ideas for second trip?

It turns out that we could stay 2 nights at Casa Marbella either at the beginning of our trip or at the end. I'm pretty sure we've decided on the Playa Negra Guesthouse in Cahuita for the other 4 nights. I originally wanted to visit Tortuguero first and then end the trip with the beach stay. However, I've looked at the calendar and it appears if we end the trip at Tortuguero it would be much closer to a full moon, which seems to be better for turtle viewing. Also, I'm wondering the later we go in August, is there even a slight chance we might see hatchings, as well as nestings? If i'm incorrect about these two ideas (moonlight and hatchings), please let me know because then we would just start the trip in Tortuguero as originally planned. Thanks everyone!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ideas for second trip?

If you stay in Cahuita be sure to plan at least a full day down at Punta Uva area. Very nice beach with a restaurant right there to grab lunch. A short distance away is the Jaguar Rescue Center which welcomes visitors twice a day (be sure to be there for the tour as walk ins are not avail). Great chance to see lots of wildlife up close and sure to delight the whole family! Sloths of all ages, variety of monkeys and interaction allowed) lots of birds, a deer and more reptiles than I cared to visit!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ideas for second trip?

Booked the airfare today! I got a bit scared when the flight I was looking at increased about $150 pp this weekend (!), but it came back down this morning. I was able to extend our trip a few days so we will be able to include Arenal as well. Our itinerary is as follows: four nights in Cahuita at the Playa Negra Guesthouse, two nights in Tortuguero at Casa Marbella, and then three nights in Arenal at Silencio del Campo. Thanks for your help!