We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach resort

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best beach resort

We need to choose a beach hotel for our trip to Costa Rica. Will be spending about 3 days out of 10 there. We want to be able to see and hear the ocean from our room and feel the ocean breeze. Would like an upscale hotelo/resort. Any suggestions? Thanks

San Franciso
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach resort

My new husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Makanda By The Sea where we stayed for 5 nights. We could have gone anywhere in the world and had been considering Santorini, Greece or the Fiji Islands.....We definitely chose the Right Place for our Honeymoon. This hotel was Beautiful, Romantic, and Exclusive.

We arrived in the middle of the night, after a 3.5 hr drive from SJO. When we got to our room we were greeted by our pre-ordered champagne and a fruit basket, that was just amazing, at about midnight on 4/23. Our bed was covered with a heart made of flowers and flowers were in the bathroom and on the dining table. And there were even two candles ready to be lit!! The manager had left us a written note wishing us a wonderful stay and letting us know how to order our breakfast in the morning. We have never felt greeted more warmly by a hotel and We have never enjoyed a bottle of champagne more that we did that night.

In the morning we awoke to the sounds of the surf and the jungle. We stayed in studio 4. We found the Coffee, “Cafe Milagro”, made a pot in our little kitchenette and enjoyed every sip as we watched and listened to our first day begin!

We took heed of the warnings posted by another traveler and made sure that our room was locked and our valuables in the safe at all times. With these precautions we had absolutely no incidence. Also, there are signs clearly posted to lock things up. One sign is right by the safe and another in the room information and also at the front desk. The door had a regular lock and a deadbolt. I felt very safe.

I looked forward to the maid’s service each day to see what she would do with the flowers. Every day she did something different and it was such fun. On our last day she made swans out of the towels and put flowers on them....Our only problem was that then the towels were so pretty we didn't want to mess them up!

We loved the pool and the restaurant. The infinity pool surrounded by the jungle was serene and The food was glorious. My husband couldn't get enough of their smoked trout bocas and I just loved the trout entre and the hummus bocas. I also discovered the kaipirina **smile** YUM! They made them so good.....but....the restaurant was so good to us that one day when I asked for a shot of the sugar cane liquor that was in them, because I couldn’t taste the alcohol....well I am not sure but I think they started making them a little stronger for me!! THEY WERE SO GOOD TO US!

The Breakfast, included with the room was wonderful. My husband really liked the omelets and I loved the french toast with the coconut banana topping. We felt like we were eating all the time. In fact we got so much food for breakfast that we started putting our leftovers in the fridge and munching on them in the afternoons by the pool.

Oh I almost forgot the animals!! Amazing!! One afternoon around 3 pm a whole family of about 30 capuchin monkeys passed right by our balcony, literally right in front of our faces!! Apparently the bananas on the tree next to the villa next door to us were ripe and the whole family was headed that way. It was just incredible!! One morning I went to the office early to check on a tour and Jules asked me if I would like to see something wonderful. She took me into her apartment and right out of her window was a Motmot. I never heard of a Motmot before, but it is a beautiful bird! We also saw a Toucan by the pool on one afternoon and we heard the howler monkeys everyday, though we did not see one at the hotel.

This was a relaxing vacation for us so we spent a lot of time at the hotel or at the beach (not the beach at the hotel though, it is a long walk down to the beach....and we just never made it that far). We only booked two activities. We chose the Manuel Antonio National Park Tour and the Titi Canopy Tour.....Both were great! We did the Park tour on our second day and were glad we did it early. For four hours we walked around the park and saw every animal we had hoped to see on our trip, Capuchin monkeys, Howler monkeys, squirrel monkeys and 3 toed sloths. After taking the tour we were better at spotting animals on our own knowing what sounds to listen for helped us to find many more animals.

We were also very happy with the Titi Canopy tour. It is a shorter tour, only 2.5 hours, about, and it was done very professionally. We had a blast zip lining through the trees to 14 platforms and we bought the cd pictures to go along with it.

I just cant say enough good things about Manuel Antoinio, Makanda, and this Jungle Paradise. We almost cancelled and went somewhere else because of the negative posts on here. I Am SO GLAD that we didn't!! It was Idyllic and I now understand "Pura Vida". We will return here again and we will recommend Makanda to our friends without hesitation.

Happy Travels

Mr. and Mrs. Kanellis

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach resort

Makanda By The Sea that sindie2010 is raving about (but make sure to look up the recent posts here about Makanda - not everyone is raving about it) and other upscale hotels in Manuel Antonio are up high on the hill, with a 15 minute hike or a drive down to the beaches, so I don't know how someone can get an ocean breeze there. Many (not all) rooms of these hotels do have the view of the ocean. If you are looking for a hotel or resort right on the beach where you would see and hear and feel the ocean then Manuel Antonio is not for you. Actually, a lot of the beach area hotels elsewhere in Costa Rica are also not on the beach. You will need to do some searching around... Where are you going to be before and after the beach? I would suggest you choose a location that would be easiest for you to reach.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach resort

Makanda is a great resort and probably no more or less safe than any other upscale resort in CR. Yes, there have been a few posts from someone who had a bad experience and others egging the negativity on.

The Makanda is nice but has 500 or so steps down a steep hill to the beach. You can't see it or really hear it. None of the hotels in Manuel Antonio really have a beach front. Iguana Lodge in Osa is on a great beach and you can definetely hear it. Their food is fantastic. Hotel Club Del Mar in Jaco is right on a great surfing and swimming beach at the south end of town away from the noise, etc. but still close enough to enjoy town if you want to. It is luxurious, especially in the condo units. Villas del Caribe on the south Caribbean coast is on a nice beach but is not what I would call upscale - there really aren't any truly upscale places on that coast.

Playa Conchal is an all-inclusive place that is nice with a wonderful beach but the beach is not really at you doorstep or anything.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beach resort

Thanks, amy

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beach resort

Tango Mar near Tambor has a hotel that sits about 20 feet from the beach. You can hear (and sometimes feel!) the waves crash on the beach and feel the ocean breeze all day and night. This resort is small but nice. It is NOT a Four Seasons type upscale resort but it is a quiet, secluded place that is great if you want to get away from the crowds.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beach resort

Thanks for your information. I made a reservation at Tango Mar and am Very excited! Thanks again to all!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beach resort

If you are staying at Tango Mar, I recommend a few side trips. you can take a taxi to Montezuma, hike to the waterfalls and enjoy some time on the lovely beach near Ylang Ylang resort (also gorgeous with beautiful pool and you can walk to beach just a few steps from your private bungalow). There are many good restaurants there, including the Playa de las Artistas, which is on the top of just about everyone's list with romantic beachside, candlelit setting and superb food. you can take a day trip from Tambor/ Tango Mar to Isla Tortuga, which is a great opportunity to see the beautiful, pristine coastline, snorkel and spend time on a white, beautiful beach with islands offshore. If you want, there is also a zipline canopy tour in Montezuma which we did and really enjoyed. You can book it in Montezuma. We went with Zuma Tours. Have a great time!