We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for 1 night stays

Washington, PA
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for 1 night stays

Hello....I am hoping some one can offer suggestions for overnight stays on an upcoming vacation or whether it is suggested that we drive the entire route.

We are flying into SJO on 12/1 and will arrive about 1:00PM. We are playing to be in Mai Pais area 12/2-12/6. My first question is: should we stay overnight in San Jose or somewhere along the way e.g., Puntarenas and if so, any suggestions?

We are then planning to check out of Mai Pais on 12/6 and have reservations in Dominical on 12/7. My question is should we take the ferry and drive all the way to Dominical on one day....or should we stop overnight somewhere and if so, where?

Are there any nice places to stay around Carara National Park? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,077 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for 1 night stays

If your flight arrives on time...you can catch some of tghe feries going to Paquera and check In at your place in Mal Pais..Santa Tereza...the same day of your arrival...no need to stay overnight any where along the way...the drive from SJO to Puntarenas ferry boat is about 1.5 hours ride ...just check ferry schedules...to Paquera!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,561 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for 1 night stays

You could also check out any of the boutique inns in the Central Valley for an overnight befo heading to the ferry the next morning. Suggest you check out Vista del Valle surrounded by coffee fields and overlooking a canyon, roughly 20 minutes west of the airport, or Vista Atenas B&B in the hills above Atenas roughly 35 minutes west of the airport, or Xandari, a luxury resort on 40 acres in the hills above Alajuela roughly 20 minutes north of the airport.

Washington, PA
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for 1 night stays

TY for those suggestions.

I was also wondering if there would be a place to stay between when we get off the ferry in Paquera and our destination, Dominical?

Or, is the better option to keep on driving?

Thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,561 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for 1 night stays

I'd just drive straight through but if you prefer to break the trip you could check out the Hotel Playa Bejuco or the Monterey del Mar, both on the beach at Esterillos, roughly 15 km south of Jaco. You could also spend the night at Manuel Antonio where there are a wide range of choices but that's less than an hour north of Dominical.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
5. Re: ideas for 1 night stays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 14, 2013