We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello psychic weather forecasters...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hello psychic weather forecasters...

So, I´m staying in the Orosi Valley for 5 weeks and it has rained on and off every day for the last 5 days and last night for the entire night. Not pathetic rain, proper rain! My excursion to Tapanti today was cancelled because the rivers are swollen and the park is washed out completely. The roads have little rivers on them, I feel very sorry for all the people trekkin/ paddling to Cartago! The family I´m staying with have said this is perfectly normal for this time of year, but when I visited in July/ August 2009 I definitely remember A LOT of sunshine! So, I´m in an internet cafe in San Jose (where it is also raining with proper rain, arghhhh) and I would like to know when the weather is likely to cheer up a bit.??! Is this really normal, was 2009 a freak year for nice weather?! Thanks!! x

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

PS- apart from the rain, I´m loving your country so far! :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

Sorry to heard that...last week was such a nnice weather...anywya...I just come back a few minutes ago from JAco and Herradura...the weather was OK not clear skies but not rain...

roadadivsor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

From what I've been reading, there's been as much rain in the last three days as we normally get in a month! Forecasts suggest improvement from Tuesday, if that gives you hope (I'm a bit tired of being housebound too!).

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

Thanks roadadvisor and SaraF! Same SaraF, arggghhh. Thanks for the update on Tuesday! Well, it rained all last night too and I was a bit annoyed when my roadtrip to Irazu and other local places was cancelled today. However, it´s cleared up slightly now and there has been no rain for a whole 5 hours, woop woop! No sun, but no rain either :-) There´s mud all round Orosi Church (the local guys are digging it out the road and drains) and there have been a few landslides. The family I´m staying with said that a car came off the road last night because of it all and someone died. Not good. I´m hoping to be in Tortuguero from Friday to Sunday, I hope transport to there will still be possible?!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

Friday is a long way off! Don't give up yet! The roads to the Caribbean are closed at the moment, but hopefully all will be cleared up soon.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

Roads are already open! Looking good for you already!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

This is a good page for current info on road closures: costa-rica-guide.com/travel-map/road-constuc…

Canada
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

The Canton of Paraiso, which includes Orosi, has declared a State of Emergency, which means they will be receiving some assistance soon. The good news is that they are expecting the rains to end tomorrow (Tuesday) There has been considerable damage, including flooded out home but as always the Ticos are pulling together to help one another regroup.

http://www.facebook.com/periodico.elparaiseno#!/municipalidad.deparaiso

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

Update from Orosi is that it´s mostly dry today and the local people are still shifting mud quite happily from the edge of the roads. Hot Springs have had to be emptied and cleaned and, in the ones near Orosi Lodge, the little pools are open but not the big one yet. The river is superfast and everyone is talking about the lluvia, it´s almost english this sudden focus of conversation on the weather! Thanks for the information and encouragement everyone! :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hello psychic weather forecasters...

I am confused- when is the rainy season normally,

and is this an el ninyo (sp) year or not?

If I go in mid november or mid december will that be in the dry or wet season.

thanks if this has been discussed before