We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose Airport money exchange

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose Airport money exchange

In many countries you will get your best rate at the airport - not in Costa Rica. They gave me a rate about 15% below the going exchange rate - knowing that I had just arrived and didn't know better. It might not be necessary to change money at all. Almost anyone will take dollars and will give you the normal rate. ATM's also offer a better rate. I got the best exchange at Banco Nacional ATM and wasn't even charged an ATM fee.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose Airport money exchange

Well as a matter of fact there are booth in most of the CA airports that have a big sign that says "money exchange" they always going to rip you off this is the worst exchange rate i ever seen all around CA, in costa rica is not a problem paying in US and get some local change back at least the first day later on you can go to any bank because also if you do not want to be rip of is better to carry local currency with you

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose Airport money exchange

you are right, never exchange at the airport

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose Airport money exchange

DavyF, which countries did you travel to find best exchange rate at the airport ??!! Yes using ATM is always the best way to get colons.

4. Re: San Jose Airport money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 am, June 21, 2013