We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

Ive changed my intinuary and wonder if It's possible but more so suicidal (crazy). Arrive n San Jose, then shuttle to Punta Uva for 2nights, then on departure day white water raft, get picked up by hotel shuttle to Arenal. Stay in Fortuna 2nights, then 1night near Tenerio. Then drive to the pacific coast for 2nights, and final drive back to San Jose.

I still dont know what pacific beaches to visit. Trying to pick base upon national parks with nice clear water beach/atv tour. What do you guys think?

thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

You need to spend some time with this website: www.yourtravelmap.com Here you will find driving times and distances.

I think your itinerary is not that feasible. I would pick one beach area and one mountain/volcano area. What you are proposing is too much time in a vehicle and not enough time enjoying yourself.

Arenal: while staying in the Arenal area, you can go rafting, visit hot springs, do a day trip to the Tenorio National Park, among many other activities there.

Pick either Caribbean or Pacific beaches. For Caribbean, www.puertoviejosatellite.com Beautiful, laidback beaches.

For Pacific, maybe Manuel Antonio, based on your list. www.manuelantonopark.com In addition to the park, there are several good day trips possible, including visits to other Pacific beaches such as Dominical/Uvita.

Keep in mind that if you flight arrives mid afternoon or later or your flight leaves before about 2 pm, you will need to spend your first/last night near the airport. For a late arrival, you could use private transportation to Arenal or Manuel Antonio but for an early flight out, you will need to be near the airport on your last night.

Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

I completely agree with Hattie, your itinerary will make for an overly busy trip, and you won't enjoy it as much. Also, recognize that there are often delays on the roads in Costa Rica and predicted travel time can be way, way off. Road delays have put a damper on my trips more than once, so learn from my mistakes!

Caribbean beach areas are very different from Pacific, and like Hattie, I think you should stick with one for this trip. Caribbean beaches have a distinct vibe like no other in Costa Rica, very Jamaican inspired. Expect a lot of reggae, and Caribbean flavors in the food. There are some very beautiful beaches in the southern region of Limon province (Punta Uva, Playa Chiquita, Punta Cocles), but in my experience, all have sand fleas, so stay away from the beach at dawn and dusk if their bite bothers you.

The Pacific beaches are very beautiful as well, take a look at beaches on the Nicoya Peninsula, or if you want a more jungley experience, Manuel Antonio.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

Thank You both for your reviews, As far as the Carribean side, I am very use to the culture as in reggae, colypso, reggaeton.... you name it! However I am curious to know what its like to be on the pacific side.

Truly, im curious to know why people speak soo low of the carribean side. But that's another topic on its own... Oh! I hate sand fleas, I learned my lesson in Jamaica. lol

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

It looks like you're planning to spend very little time in San jose, so what time does your flight arrive. Remwmber shuttles have specific departure times so you might not be able to jump on a subtle right of the airport. For this first leg, and depending onto the hour of your arrival you kith need to consider a private transfer and not a hpshuttle. I would head first to Arenal and from there you can easily decide on going either Pacific or Caribbenpan beach. When are you coming? Depending on time of the year, we could advise if Caribbean or Pacific would be better depending on season. I know they both sound attractive but as said already, I would also stick to one or the other....well, I guess that would mean to think of another vacation to CR in the short future :)

Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

I love the Caribbean beaches and have been several times. It's just important to note that it's not the same experience you might have in the rest of the country, and it's not for everyone. Sand fleas are not fun, I have had rotten experiences with them more than once and only finished healing up from our September excursion about a month ago.

The Pacific side is a lot of reggaeton & dancehall as well, but you will hear LOTS of salsa, cumbia, merengue and a little bachata if you're lucky as well. There are some surfer towns on the Pacific where the crowd is pretty laid back as well. The real treasures on the Pacific for me are where the jungle meets the ocean. It is one of the most beautiful things you can imagine, and the vegetation in the northern regions and on the Caribbean really can't even begin to compare to the central to southern Pacific coast.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

Oh Wow! Now You make me wana hit the pacific side, afterall I like the sound of Natural Green/forest meets the ocean.

I wil be arriving March 23, and I already put downa deposit for a room on the Carribean side. But I may change that if I can find an affordable hotel/villa on the pacific side. So, I need advice...

I thought about driving to Arenal area first before hitting the beach scene, so I amy reconsider although I have booked 3 hotels already.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

To ascanada

It took almost two months for my sand flea bites to heal without scarring. Mann! it wa sooo itchy!

When you speak of the pacific side with beautiful nature scenery, what area are your referring too?...And what activities are available?

Thanks

Edited: 1:48 am, December 29, 2011
Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

Anywhere from Manuel Antonio and south of there. MA has tons of activities, as does Dominical, which is just a little further south. 4x4ing, hiking, beach activities, Dominical has surfing, MA has sport fishing, there are the national parks at both MA and Ballena National Park at Uvita (just a little ways south of Dominical). There is a snake zoo of sorts just out of Dominical. Both areas have beaches. Hacienda Baru in Dominical is another nature reserve. Both areas have accessible waterfalls, and you can find canyoning, waterfall rappelling, and river rafting tours through tour operators or hotels in both areas.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

OK guys, I think I will skip the carribean side and go for the pacific side. So, What do you reccomend , DRiving to the pacific side first or Arenal first?

Also, I arrive in San Jose March 23 at 11:30am and depart March 31

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 8dayTravel around costa rica carribean coast and pacific..

Where can i see/find sloths? Thats what attracted me to the carribean side, the sloth sanctuary