We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time family trip

Delaware
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
1st time family trip

will be taking my family to CR in June. 20 yo and 17y0, and husband. Flying in and out of San Jose. Can someone give me ideas! Would like to go to Antonio Manuel and the Arenal Volcano, but haven't a clue about the country or what to do. Staying 10 days. I NEED HELP!

Thank you,

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time family trip

Hi: This is a great trip I booked last year through a local agency in Costa Rica. Its was great

Day 1: Arrival and transfer in (Airport - Hotel in San José). Meetings and assistance at your hotel before check - in. Overnight in a Hotel in San Jose.

Day 2: Early departure by land and boat to Tortuguero National Park through Braulio Carrillo National Park. All meals (B,L,D), visit to banana plantation & canal tour are included. Overnight Lodge in Tortuguero.

Day 3: Stay day at Tortuguero. Visits to Tortuguero town, Turtle Museum, Morning Canal Tour, Hiking tours and all meals (D,L,D) are included. Overnight Lodge in Tortuguero.

Day 4: Lodge breakfast and early departure by boat and land to La Fortuna town, where Arenal Volcano, our "Incredible Natural Monster" is located. Lunch include in Guápiles town. Overnight Hotel in Arenal.

Day 5: Lodge breakfast and departure to visit Venado Caves ( If you do not mind getting wet and muddy, this fascinating underground adventure will take you through a labyrinth of narrow passages. Bats, stalactites and stalagmites will surely astonish the true explorer). Then, in the afternoon entrances fee to the natural hot spring water of Tabacón Spa with buffet dinner. Have a great relax time !! Overnight Hotel in Arenal.

Day 6: Hotel breakfast and departure to Monteverde Biological Reserve. Afternoon free to visit art, crafts & galleries. Cheese & Coffee factories and hummingbird garden may be an optional visit as well. .Overnight Hotel in Monteverde.

Day 7: Hotel breakfast, activities included: Sky Walk & Horseback Riding (2 hours) around Monteverde areas. In the afternoon, optional visits to the town of Monteverde or optional activities (Cheese & Coffee factories and hummingbird garden Tour ) .Optional. Overnight Hotel in Monteverde.

Day 8: Hotel breakfast and departure to Manuel Antonio National Park and beach. Time to visit Carara Reserve (entrance fees Not Included), Jacó Beach or Crocodiles River during the way. Rest of the day free. Overnight Hotel in Manuel Antonio.

Day 9: Hotel breakfast and free day to visit Manuel Antonio National Park (entrances fee NOT included) to enjoy its flora, fauna and beaches. Overnight in Manuel Antonio.

Day 10: Hotel breakfast, free morning to enjoy hotel facilities and in the afternoon departure to San José. Overnight Hotel in San José.

Day 11: Hotel breakfast and transfer - out to the International Airport.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time family trip

I second the other post- Tortuguero is an excellent choice to add to your trip, it was the highlight of our trip but I would only do three places in the 10 days you have since you will lose two days to travel. We went to Costa Rica with Caravan Tours over Christmas (it was too expensive to go on our own) with our two 20 something kids and we all loved had a wonderful time. Sharon

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time family trip

You have plenty of choices. 3 or 4 destinations would be good. I am including San Jose area as a destination because besides the airport there are so many sightseeing and active drives you can do from there you can easily spend a few nights there. I strongly suggest you get some Costa Rica travel books from the library, read and decide what places you want to visit and what activities you want to do. For example, you can spend 2 nights in Arenal area or you can easily spend 5 and do the many activities and side trips available from there. Here is a website that gives a nice introduction to different destinations in Costa Rica.

www.moon.com/planner/costa_rica/index.html

By the way there is no "town of Monteverde" mentioned in the tour description in the first post. It does not exist. There is a little village called Santa Elena that is 7km from Monteverde Reserve. I can see whoever wrote that brochure never went there...