We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Costa Rica in June

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
traveling to Costa Rica in June

Ola,

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in June for the four of us 2 adults and 2 teenage boys 16 years old. So far I have planned, but not booked, 2nights in San Jose possibly atthe Hotel Boouganvillea, 2 night tour at the Mawamba in Torteguera to explore the canals, 2 in Arenal at the Observatory, and 2 in Santa Elena to explore the cloud forests. Can this be done without a car? Has anyone used grayline or interbus for transportation from one region to another?

Since we have about 2 weeks, we would like to spend 3 or 4 nights relaxing on a beach. The boys would love to boogie board, if not learn to surf. I can't decide which beach nor whether we should hang out on the Pacific or Carribbean coast? Any suggestions and what would be good hotels to stay?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias,

Carol

switzerland
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to Costa Rica in June

hello carol

i have used both greyhound and interbus. but when i look at your itinerary, i remember this thread in the forum: hiring a driver.

maybe you should seriously think about doing that, because bus rides in CR are not a joy esp for a family- and you would have to ride buses every 3 days....all the luggage a family has..... i dont know, i can just imgine that you'd feel much better having a driver for 8 days. just read the threads about it- i have never done it.

i have also been to both, caribbean and pacific coast. for bodyboarding and surfing, i d suggest pacific, esp also for beginners. we were in playa samara in the Hotel Belvedere (read my review on it, it also has family rooms with kitchenette if u do not want B&B). they have bodyboards to take out for free.

we were there in june july august- most beautful months concerning nature, but be warned, it will be QUIET touristic-wise. not a lot going on at night.....

the caribbean coast is very beautiful, we have done some bodysurf in the cahuita national park and further towards puerto viejo (THE place to be!) but the waves in cahuita were by far bigger than in playa samara, if not even dangerous- also coz of rip curls....

hope this can be of some help.

tumi*

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to Costa Rica in June

Yes, you can and many people do travel without a car. And you can't even get to Tortuguero by car - plane, or bus / shuttle and then boat or kayak only.

2 nights at each of these locations is fine, but if you stay 3 nights you will be able to do more activities there. So, if you want to skip one of these you will be able to see more of the other destinations. Your choice.

Which beach to choose? It depends on your preference. What do you want to do in the beach area besides surf / boogie board? Are you looking for any particular atmosphere there? A town full of hotels and restaurants, a quiet village, a deserted beach, a rainforest?

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to Costa Rica in June

Thanks for the driver advice. I'll look into that. The surfing and boogie boarding is for the boys. Me, a quiet day at the beach would be fine. If we decide on the Pacific Coast, I was thinking that Playa Tamarindo or Playa Grande would be a good choice. What do you think? Do you know of a good place to stay?

Gracias