We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extended stay housing in costa rica

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
extended stay housing in costa rica

My husband and i are headed to costa rica for three months in august (and hopefully returning after the holidays) and we're running out of resources to look for affordable housing. (I know it's there! I've read about it and heard about it) We found a great place for $350 a month near Dominical for september, but it's rented after that. We are looking for a rustic cabin/cottage near a beach that's budget friendly and somewhat accessible without a car, and craigslist isn't coming up with a whole lot. Any suggestions where else to look? Is it easier to find a place to live once we're there?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: extended stay housing in costa rica

My advice is to visit the ARCR (Association of Residents of Costa Rica) website. Many people participate there who live here in Costa Rica so you will probably have a better chance of finding a long-term rental.

Really, if you are going to be renting a place when you are first there, your best bet is just to look around while you are there and find a place. Most places are not advertised on the internet and you can find a better deal once you are in the area - and by that time, you will know where you want to live and know to stay away from the areas that don't suit you.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: extended stay housing in costa rica

Agree with Hattie, book a hotel for a few days and ask and look around when you get there.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: extended stay housing in costa rica

Agree with Hattie 100%. You will find far more on the ground here. Plenty of affordable housing around.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: extended stay housing in costa rica

To me the best way ...shop around once you are here...book a hotel for a few nights then shop around...your dream place is waiting for you...and a lot better than send money to people you do not even know or for a place that in a picture looks like the Taj Mahal and once you get there is nothing...

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: extended stay housing in costa rica

I was hoping that's the case, that affordable housing is easier to find once there.

Thanks for the advice!

6. Re: extended stay housing in costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 02, 2012