We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Setauket, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Has anyone gone to Costa Rica with Caravan tour? What did you think of it?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Look in the trip reports section of this forum.

You will find pages and pages of positive reports.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

I took a Caravan tour 3 years ago and was very pleased. You`ll see a lot for your money and they really do take care of everything. For a first trip to Costa Rica I would recommend them.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Most people that I know that have had been in a Caravan tour...were very please...of course some people were not...but most of them were OK!

roadadivsor

Tennessee
Level Contributor
399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

We just got back yesterday from a trip with Caravan. It was just wonderful. Everything went so smooth. The accommodations were real nice and the food was real good. Mostly buffets with a lots of choices. The places Caravan take you is really a good highlight of Costa Rica. It is so much fun meeting other people on your tour. There were 44 on our tour. Some young, some older but we all got along wonderful. Everyone was on time for departures and so friendly. Our tour guide was very informative. His name is Derek Free, he is a walking book of information. You will love it if you go.

Edited: 3:47 pm, April 15, 2011
milwaukkee
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Was with them in April with an awesome guide Tatiana. Just an outstanding value. Great hotels. Top class. Food delicious. Bus mercedes benz. I did everything from jungles to great beaches which I wanted to do in costa Rica. Told all my friends. Best bang for the travel buck. Really impressed by Caravan and Costa Rica. Amazing country. You will love the ticos!

Here is guide's blog which she just sent me a week ago.

costaricatouring.blogspot.com

Planning to go to Panama in January with caravan!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

So nice to read positive post from positive great people...CARAVAN are a great company...the costarican staff are the best!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Their groups are to big for my taste (30 +pax) but I have heard good reports on them

macedonia, ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

We've traveled with Caravan and agree. We went on the California Coast tour and it was great. We like bus tours because neither of us like to drive anymore. We can't decide on the Costa Rica tour or the Panama Canal. Has anyone been on both. We are in Ohio what airline would we take to either. Thanks Lanakalou

Setauket, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Did Princess full transit(LA to FLL)a few years ago and just did the Costa Rica tour. If cost is a factor then Caravan to Costa Rica is the hands down winner. But if cost is not a factor then it is hard to compare. The relaxation of a cruise does lend something special to a trip. The excursions did get us to Mexico(Hualtulco), Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cartegena Columbia(very nice and seemed safe), Antigua and some hours in Costa Rica. Did not get the same feel of Costa Rica from the day trip that Caravan excursion gave you. Basically we did the Tarcoles River and saw some wildlife but no where near the Caravan tour. The actual trip through the Panama Canal was quite interesting and took almost all day. As I have written before, some of the days on the bus were much too long. Each trip had strengths and weaknesses. Final decision: I might do the Panama Canal trip(full transit only) again for the comforts of the cruise, not the ports. I probably would not do the Costa Rica tour again- it was nice but not extraordinary.Cruise was 14-15 days: bus tour was 9 days if time is an issue. Slight edge to the cruise, but a significant additional cost. If you do Caravan ignore most of their warnings they send you after they get your money and do the Arenal Zip Line. Enjoy

Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caravan tours to Costa Rica

Hi Lanakalou

I've been on both. We did Costa Rica about 5 years ago, and Panama in 2010 - the first year it was offered when they were still working out the kinks, as it were. We loved Costa Rica, both the country and the Caravan trip. We saw so much and were able to relax and enjoy it in a way you can't do on your own. Our guide was unbelievably knowledgeable, and made the trip so much more enjoyable for us. The hotels were lovely and the food excellent. Costa Rica had far more to see and lots more to learn. In fact, I've just got off the phone with Caravan as we are planning to return this summer with our teenage grandson.