We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If we hire a rental car.................

Brisbane
Level Contributor
189 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
If we hire a rental car.................

Is it safe for hubby and I to tour on our own. Are there certain area's where one should not venture into?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

It is perfectly safe...like any where else in the world today...common sense...I drive for living in Costa Rica...and I feel safe...but maybe for you guys try not to drive at night...mostly because big trucks...and some potholes...etc..

roadadvisor

Edited: 11:43 pm, September 25, 2010
Brisbane
Level Contributor
189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Many thanks for that roadadvisor. We much prefer to settle down with a bottle of chardony after 5pm, (assuming one can buy wine there) so we certainly won't be driving :-) :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Good thinking...one piece of advice...maybe you can bring some bottles of good wine...you can even buy them at Duty Free...sometimes the prices for a good wine are high...here in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Rental car is fun and saves I do it a lot...

www.mapache.com is a good one

Check your consular advisories

www.mapcr.com GPS if directionally challenged.

Most tourist areas are fine there are parts of San Jose that are dodgy

border areas can be dodgy on the Carib side especially.

A lockable trunk is always wise for me due to rare petty theft risk.

Scams are run sometimes like the flat tire scam and speed trap scam

go slow through small towns or big tickets.

But have been renting for several decades no major problem.

Safest country in CA to rent a car really for me..tonnes of fun,

Have fun,

Turrialba
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Hello,

It is very good idea to get a car for your trip to Costa Rica.

It is better that buses.

I am from Costa Rica and probably you are interested about AutoTour with private driver or something like that. I suggest to you take contact with locals companies for car rentals.

Ask about for exemple in turisports.com ...

Ropemoc

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Like most places there are areas that are more dicey than others. If going to Jaco or Manuel Antonio for instance don't leave your car unattended if you decide you want to get out and check out the monster crocs or the beautiful Scarlet macaws from the Tarcoles bridge. Leaving your car unattended with luggage or personal belongings in it is never a good idea. Even a guarded parking lot can have problems. There is a scam where thieves puncture your tire and when you pull over they rob you. Always make sure you pull over in a busy area in the rare chance that it should happen to you. Preferably a parking lot of a busy business. Don't let all that scare you, just use common sense. I live in the southern part of the country and drive around alone all the time. Knock on wood, I have never had a problem.

Night time is the best time to be settled in sipping a good wine. Driving is no fun at night. Too many dogs and people walking around on narrow roads. A lot of grocery stores have wine and of course the duty free store right downstairs next to baggage claim is a good place to pick up a bottle or two while you wait for the baggage. Of course most times it will be there by the time you get through immigration. You won't have to pack the wine, just stick it on the conveyor at the last screening just before you walk out the door.

I have heard some good reports about Mapache but haven't used them. I was at Adventure Inn last week and there was a Mapache rep there delivering a car to some people. They seemed efficient and friendly.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

I would like to thank all the kind people who took the time to answer my questions, it is very much appreciated. We will not know until mid October if we will come and have a look at your gorgeous part of the world next year. If I have any further questions, can I request that you answer them please?

Again, a million thanks.

SanFrancisco
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Hi, We just came from Costa Rica. We had a good driver and his contact details:

Danny Jimenez

www.costaricadriver.com

Brisbane
Level Contributor
189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

Thank you poomasury. We would prefer to explore on our own.

Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If we hire a rental car.................

My husband and I were there for 9 days in Dec and had a rental car the whole time. We didn't have any problems other than getting lost a few times.