We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sansa Airline

abp
California
14 posts
Save Topic
Sansa Airline

I was interested in flying internally in Costa Rica, but according to the website, Sansa Air has a 25 lb limit on luggage. Is that enforced? Who travels with less than 25 lbs of luggage???

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sansa Airline

It is true. They enforce you to bring with you les than 25 lb. It just doesn´t make any sense but they don’t care.

Besides, they use to change the departure times and even worse, sometimes they just cancel the flights and find the way to send you to your destiny, no matters how many connections you have to make or how long time you have to wait.

Last Friday, some friends of mine were coming from San Jose to Quepos on a 25 minutes flight scheduled to depart at 1.30. But it happened that the flight to Golfito had only 3 people booked. So they just cancelled the flight to Golfito, forced a ten of passengers to wait until 3 pm and then putted the folks going to Golfito in the same plane that should go to Quepos. Finally they enforced ALL THE PEOPLE TO GO until Golfito, and then they flew to their original destiny Quepos, arriving a few minutes after 5 pm.

On the way the pilots didn’t explain anything to the passengers. Just had them sitting there for more than 4 hours! The same time that takes to fly from CR to California or Atlanta!

Finally, the pilots realized they forgot to tell one passenger that their final stop wasn’t Golfito, but Quepos. The captain told him: I am sorry, you have two choices: you can leave here in Quepos, or fly with us to San Jose and buy another ticket to fly Golfito tomorrow!

This is the third time I’ve witnessed or have heard about that kind of irresponsible behaves. I just CAN NOT recommend any body to fly with Sansa. make a please to yourself and don’t fly with them.

It will be more convenient and less stressing for you to hire a driver, a transportation company or just rent a car . . .

In review: Sansa scks! They enforce you to leave most of your cloths and valuables God knows where. They have constant delays and cancel Flights with no reason, not to mention that their planes have only one engine and that the staff is mostly rude. Thanks God there is one more domestic airline, Nature Air, which is managed by Costa Ricans. The flights cost an average of $8 more but they do know the meaning of service as well as most of us, “ticos” who want to thank you for visiting our country, providing you with all the help and friendly service you may need during your staying in this paradise named Costa Rica.

Manchester, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sansa Airline

I flew on Nature Air from San Jose area to Drake Bay. We had > 25 lbs each, there were 4 of us. The heaviest bag we had was 36 lbs. They just had us pay a fee, wasn't that much.

They service was fine, no problem at all. We had nice flights. I would recommend Nature Air.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sansa Airline

EEK! Is it really that bad? We fly next Friday from San Jose to Tambor....it should be okay, right?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sansa Airline

Hi there Escantrell! Well , to say the truth sometimes there are smooth flights with Sansa. They just wouldn´t exist if every single flight would have problems like the ones they usually have, but hopefully you will be ok flying to Tambor. You might be lucky. However, if you can shift the flight and fly with Nature Air, you will be definetely on time, and you will be attended as you deserve.

The ground transfer to Tambor-Montezuma-Santa Teresa, etc., includes a very scenic and enjoyable 55 minutes ride on a ferry across the Gulf of Nicoya and a total of 3 hours driving from San Jose, on a very good road.

The choice is yours . . .

Good bye and anjoy Costa Rica!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sansa Airline

Or the question is, who travels with more than 25 lbs for such a casual destination? Flown Sansa half a dozen times, never a problem. Their limit is actually 30 lbs, they just don't go out of their way to advertise that fact. Using a duffle bag instead of a hard-sided rolling bag will save you tons, or at least pounds.

25-30 lbs is plenty to carry 2 weeks worth of clothes, CR is casual so leave the fancy dress & shoes at home. Comfy, quick dry clothes are the norm, shirts & shorts are accepted almost everywhere. Most places have cheap laundry as well.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sansa Airline

Do I need to take any "dress up" clothes at all?? I plan to eat at Playa de los Artistas and go to Chico's in Montezuma. I'm sure that's all casual, but what about the Club at my hotel, Los Delfines? I'd rather not take any nicer clothes, but just wondered.

Thanks!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sansa Airline

Never had any problems with SANSA. Weight limit should not be a problem, you don't need a lot of stuff there. Everything you need is very light weight due to weather. Have a great trip.

abp
California
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sansa Airline

CRGuy, thanks for the info. So, can you tell me what is the best way to travel? I need to go from San Jose to Arenal, and Monteverde to Manuel Antonio. Do you recommend a bus?

Boston
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sansa Airline

Last spring we decided to charter a small plane from Paradise Air in San Jose. What a great choice and although it was slightly more expensive to get to Puerto JImenez the time we saved made it very worthwhile. The previous trips were an absolute nightmare with SANSA and Nature Air and we just couldn't aford to lose al of the time again as we love the area so much.

We suggest chartering with this small USD-owned operator. The plane was brand new and it seated six people and they didn't place unreasonable li9mites on our baggage.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sansa Airline

The late singer Aaliyah and her entourage carried too much baggage on a similar plane and paid the ultimate price

…cnn.com/2001/…index.html