We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget surf school?

USA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Budget surf school?

Hello all -

I'll be in CR for two weeks in the beginning of January, and one of my goals for the trip is to learn to surf. The schools I looked at so far usually have big accommodation packages that are about $1000-$2000. Does anyone have recommendations for a good school where I can pay only the instruction/equipment fee, and stay in my own hostel? Location is not terribly important. Thanks in advance.

-andrew

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget surf school?

Any of the local shops will provide daily lessons and rentals. Lots are willing to throw together a package for you even if your living off the premise. Maybe you wont have the title of 'school', but you will be given the equivalent. Send me a message if you want any personal recommendations or if you want a young local to help plan your trip.

j

Edited: 12:08 pm, November 27, 2009
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget surf school?

Contact Kairo in Tamarindo,.. he charges about $30 per lesson, equipmement included... then you can stay in your own hostel...

Email jmalavasi@hotmail.com and I will hook you up with Kairo. He has a good reputation around, If you want to ask for references he is the husband of the Remax's office mamager in Tamarindo.

Hope this helps

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget surf school?

www.pointbreaksurf.com

best at best value in CR...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget surf school?

The beginning of January is a very busy time of the year, and of course they like to sell their packages first. "jmalavasi" has a great option in Kairo for a surf instructor and there are plenty of hostel, and even more cabinas in Tamarindo. Unfortunately, this is the time of the year to reserve if you can.

5. Re: Budget surf school?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, May 27, 2010