We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberia vs. San Jose

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Liberia vs. San Jose

We are planning a trip to CR next May. What would be best?

1) Fly into Liberia(can you fly into Liberia directly from the US?)-Arenal and Guanacaste region

or

2) Fly into San Jose- Arenal and MA

Our 2nd half of the trip we are looking for great beaches.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

Personally, I flew into San Jose and did the Arenal area and then went to Tamarindo (Guanacaste region) and left from Liberia. My point is why hold yourself to one airport when you can experience more of Costa by taking advantage of both airports?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

Liberia option, for both in and out. Yes you can fly into Liberia directly from US. Liberia airport is so easy all around.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

In option 2 if you are just planning to visit Arenal And Manuel Antonio...is better San Jose International Airport...

Option...1 is yes you can fly dirctly from USA...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

Which area do you think would be best for 1st time visitors of CR?

Arenal-Guanacaste or Arenal-MA

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

Hi, Liberia airport has flights from US. To visit Arenal and a lovely beach in May you are much better off to fly in and out of Liberia. Roads are generally good in the NW beach areas and on over to Arenal...over all you will do a lot less driving this way. NW Pacific beach coastline has 60 miles of what is called "gold coast" so lots of choices Tamarindo is nice small town on the beach with lots restaurants, nice beach etc or you may choose of the all inclusives big properties in that area...but you will enjoy that area. I invite you to read my Costa Rica Travel blog, all categorized for easy reading. I write articles about Arenal volcano and the area as well as the NW Pacific beaches, and much much more. I believe you will find it very helpful. Im on the web costaricalearn Hope this will help you make up your mind. Regards, Ann

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

We flew from CLT to LIR in April. We stayed at the JW Marriott (sort of near Tamarindo in Guanacaste region) for a few days then went to Arenal. Took about an hour or so to get from LIR to JWM and then 4 hours from JWM to Arenal. We had a car (rented from Thrifty).

There are a ton of beautiful towns on the coast in Guanacast with excellent restaurants as well.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

I recomend Liberia. You are right there and you can move to diferent beach areas, Rincon de la Vieja, Monteverde and even Arenal, planning a loop. The beach area and Rincon de la Vieja is also a good option. You can see turtles in several areas, dive around Papagayo or Catalina Islands.

Liberia would be my choice. www.guachipelin.com

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

we just got back from our 5th trip to costa rica. i highly recomend flying into liberia and exploring the nicoya peninsula, etc. the drive or ride in and out of san jose is brutal: its hilly, curvy not mountanous but full of semitrucks, literally. going out we were stuck between two averaged 15 mph. going in we were in a line of 20 cars behind a semitruck going 10 mph in the rain. what a stress out. if you fly into san jose stay there and do stuff around there only. no beach. the previous trips we had flown into liberia.

may turned out to be good as it was not as hot or humid and hardly any bugs. we had only been during july and august previously.

the peninsula is beautiful but a bit dyrer than the south. playa de coco, flamingo or tamarindo are all very nice or any place in between. you can seen volcanoes, zip lines, etc just east of liberia.

enjoy, it is still amazing

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

May can be rainy in the southern part of the country. (we had 41 inches of rain here at our house in the mountains this month) may want to think about going north. I prefer the southern part but if you are on vacation you don't want to be sitting inside all afternoon. Most mornings are nice enough so you can still get out and do some things.

We recently spent 4 nights on Cabo Matapalo on the Osa and it was cloudy but not rainy which made it more comfortable for hiking but you do take a chance this time of year.

Some airlines do let you fly into one and out of the other.

10. Re: Liberia vs. San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 01, 2009