We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

As at 9:36 PM...not very good news...just incredible the situation around Poas, Vara Blanca, Poasito, Fraijanes, Peace Lodge Hotel, Cinchona.

I will like to try to explain the geographical situation: when you are driving from Alajuela to Poas...you will see some huge green houses at each side of the road...thaose green houses are located most of them at Fraijanes..not far from the epicentre...two little girls 10 and 7 years old were killed by a mud slide caused by the quake at 1:20PM today...one lady as well was killed...

Once you pass Fraijanes is the entrance to Vara Blanca ...the road is totally closed and will be open not very soon...to get to Fraijanes yes...to Vara Blanca...yes ...but from Vara Blanca all the way to Cinchona and Sarapiqui...in some parts the roads is totally gone.

Hotel Peace Lodge...according to the news and reports from employees calling from there...most of the hotel is totally gone!

At 8PM tonight the first group of Red Cross Scout reached the Hotel with some medicines and radios...they estimated about 400 people there with no easy way out at least for tonight..

I try to drive this afternoon with one of our big 4x4...immposible...they did not let me pass Fraijanes.

If you have to go to Sarapiqui go by the road to Limon and then take the detour to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui is the only way to get to places like Selva Verde!

If you need any help finding somebody I am 100% at your service. NO CHARGE!

We have to stay togheter in hard times!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Roadadvisor:

Do you think the road to Selva Verde will be fixed by February?

We land on February 6 and are staying at Selva Verde that night.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Thank you for your question...getting to Selva Verde even tomorrow will be possible by the road to Limon without a problem...going by Poas and Peace Lodge and Vara Blanca...I do not thing the road is going to be fix in some months!

The damage is just INCREDIBLE!!!

Sincerely yours from PARADISE

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Thanks.

It should be okay between La Virgen and and PV de Sarapiqui though, right?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

As i was mentioned...around Puerto Viejo and La Virgen is OK..that is basically the other side of the mountain...the epicentre was around San Jose de Poas...at the Central Valley side...Sarpaiqui is at the Caribbean side!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjot the ride in PARADISE!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Article from La Nacion:

nacion.com/ln_ee/…sucesos1833437.html

San José (Redacción). Al menos 1.000 turistas quedaron aislados en las cercanías de la Catarata de la Paz, donde realizaban un paseo desde horas tempranas de hoy.

De acuerdo con Leonardo Vincenti, propietario de una empresa de transportes turísticos, todos los extranjeros se encuentran en buen estado.

There is more, but I want to respect copyright . . .

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
315 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Roadadvisor - have you heard anything more on Peace Lodge? The posted article made it sound like they were moving displaced people TO Peace Lodge.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

I tried yesterday and I'm going back today to try to find out more and try to offer one of my cars a big 4x4 to move people out of there...as today they are saying that Peace Lodge is in not very good shape...the road around the Waterfall is full of mud slides...at the moment are about 300 people at Vara Blanca soccer field...they are trying to get to the as I write...

The bridge at Peace waterfall is partially gone and out of operation...they are "building" a new basic road inside of private farms to try to get to Vara Blanca!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

A Red Cross patrol just made it to Peace Lodge waterfalls after 9 hours hike from Fraijanes...by the Cataratas de la Paz...they just found 3 more victims...at the moment we have 7 victims in total...

10:54am.

18 people from France and Argentina just flu IN at Pavas Airport they are in good condition...thank God...they were fly out of there by helicopters...

Good news...the US Air Force is sending big helicopters from its base in Honduras...THANK GOD!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
274 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Thank you roadadvisor for your updates. Such a horrific thing to have happen in your beautiful country, my heart goes out to the people of costa rica that have been affected.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Poas earthquake 6.2 in the Richter scale

Thanks for the updates, RA. You rock.