We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice - Thanks In Advance

Milton, ON, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice - Thanks In Advance

Okay, so my wife and I are going on our first "real" vacation together. Since this will most likely also be our last for a while (we are planning to have children), I wanted to make it special, so I'm thinking Costa Rica.

I don't have a huge budget, but I also don't want to stay in any flea-bag hotels, etc.

My wife has expressed an interest in seeing the rain forest and the natural sites. We are not really "beach" people - we'd rather get out and do things than lay around. Her "dream" is to kiss me under a waterfall in a tropical paradise. We tend to prefer out-of-the-way places to tourist traps. We are travelling during March Break (March 12-19) and only have 1 week + 2 days of travelling.

Can you recommend some areas of Costa Rica that would be suitable for what I've suggested above?

Again, thanks in advance for any help provided.

tn
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice - Thanks In Advance

Manuel antonio try Verde Mar, nice hotel within walking distance of park, restaurants and bars. Some Rooms have kitchenettes, clean rooms, nice pool, howler monkey were hanging in the trees during out visit.

Arenal Volcano area try Hotel Paradisio, nice rocking chair view of Volcano, breakfast included. Need to take taxi to town if you don't have car. Town wasn't much to look at either.

You have to go see the National Theater Downtown San Jose, it was beautiful, we also went into Catholic church, beautiful as well. This was on the city tour. We paid 26.00 a piece for it.

Definitely pay for the guided hikes in the rainforests or preserves, we got to see a sloth that we would have never seen if we hadn't had a guide. Those sloths are hard to spot.

GR

tn
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice - Thanks In Advance

Check out La Merced Wildlife Refuge in Osa Peninsula, it is out of the way and was a lot of fun. Price in Sept was 100.00 a night with three meals a day and one tour a day.

I would go to Manuel Antonio, arenal and then to La Merced for a really great vacation. For the out of the way places look for private wildlife refuges. Gr

Milton, ON, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice - Thanks In Advance

In one week's time, can I realistically go to multiple areas? i.e. Monteverde, Arenal and Manuel Antonio?

aya
Sk Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice - Thanks In Advance

A few days in Manuel and a few days in Arenal...great vacation!!

Tabacon hot springs and La Fortuna waterfall in Arenal and the park at Manuel. Plus you can do fun day tours from both places.