We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does Tamarindo compare to the Montezuma and Mal Pais...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
140 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
How does Tamarindo compare to the Montezuma and Mal Pais...

Looking for surf and maybe some snorkeling. How do the two areas compare? Is Tamarindo really touristy? Will we get bored in Montezuma and Mal Pais?

yucaipa, Ca.
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does Tamarindo compare to the Montezuma and Mal Pais...

Surf on the west coast, snorkeling on the carribean side. One local told me there was some snorkeling near Manuel Antonio but I didn't check it out. There are a few surf spots on the carribean side. Check out wannasurf.com as they give good descriptions and reviews of all the breaks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does Tamarindo compare to the Montezuma and Mal Pais...

Tamarindo is very built up and touristy compared to Mal Pais and Montezuma. Mal Pais is very spread out and having a car would be handy to get around (especially at night). Montezuma is a small town and is very easy to walk around with lots of great restaurants and a fun bar for drinks but I dont think there is much surfing done there.

If you are worried about getting bored I would suggest Tamarindo over Mal Pais

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does Tamarindo compare to the Montezuma and Mal Pais...

I spent some time in Tamarindo and I really liked it. It's definitely a party/surf/touristy town, but I met many really cool locals. I guess it depends what you are looking for. The waves at Playa Tamarindo weren't super huge, but you can take a bus about 30 minutes to a great surf spot. Just ask around. There's a lot to do in the area and the beaches were very beautiful and clean. I haven't been to Mal Pais, so I can't comment on that. Have fun whatever you decide!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does Tamarindo compare to the Montezuma and Mal Pais...

I want to add that I spent some time in Tamarindo this past June and really had a blast while I was there.

You might want to divy up your vacation with a few nights in Tamarindo, Mal Pais and/or Montezuma.

Read my online report on my trip to the Nicoya Peniniula at http://www.katclare.com/costa_rica