We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

BC
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

So I am going on a 2 week trip to Belize in December and will be spending a majority of the time in Punta Gorda. I have heard the drive down south is just gorgeous so I was thinking about getting a shuttle service to take my hubby and I. I would rent a vehicle but we are unfortunately not 25 and therefore cant rent.

So, it is more expensive to take a shuttle service then to fly, so what would you recommend? Is the drive really worth it?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

take the bus one-way then fly back better way to interact with the vi Belize people ,experience the culture & see more of the amazing country Belize has to offer . Cheers Playa

belize city
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

The drive to Punta Gorda is extremely beautiful! the shuttle service will be extremely expensive because its a 3 hour drive from Belize City! If you catch the bus try and catch the Express to minimize the amount of time u spend on the road. The regular bus will get u there in like seven hours while the express will take just under 4. like PLAYA4U said, take the ride down and interact with the locals they are very friendly and can help you with almost any information you will need, then fly back and enjoy the birds eye view of the Cockscomb Mountains. The flights are very cheap, they will run u about 52 US one way with Maya Island Air.

Belize
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

Its closer to a four hour drive and the flights from Punta Gorda is actually $102US each person one way.

As everyone has said the drive one way whether by bus, rental or shuttle is your best bet for experience and flight the other for convenience and time.

Happy travels

Three Oaks, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

Funny, I was just going to post a very similar message ... we're thinking about a 10 day trip in late January and are weighing the cost of renting a car down from BC to PG ... it's not cheap and almost puts this trip out of reach for us. BUT, it seems like having a car in the Toledo district might really be a good thing?

Thoughts?

Also, practical questions ... how much is the express bus from BC to PG and how often does it leave? And if we were to drive, how long would it take? How much is gas in Belize right now?

Help is so greatly appreciated ...

Belize
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

Gas in Belize is almost $5US per gallon and a driver will take a little less than 4 hrs non-stop and about 45 mins with the bus.

Having transport in areas like Toledo is a good commodity. You will have to keep the car the entire time since there are no drop off points once you have finished going down there.

Happy Travels

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

"How much is the express bus from BC to PG and how often does it leave?"

There are 2 James express buses per day departing at 5:15 am and 3:45 pm. Trip duration is about 5 hours, and fare is BZ$24 per passenger.

https:/…belize_bus_times.html

There are other buses, but you might have to change along the way. Check the BelizeBus site for more bus information:

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

"How much is gas in Belize right now?"

Following the latest increase on 26 October 2010, current fuel prices are:

Premium gasoline: BZ$9.72 per gallon

Regular gasoline: BZ$9.33 per gallon

Diesel: BZ$8.51 per gallon.

These are the prices in Belize City; prices may be higher in the districts due to transportation costs.

Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

Hi Medora,

If you can afford the car, I say rent one. If you spend ten days in Toledo, you will spend to have the car because gas is $US4.75 a gallon, but you will save on tours, food, and transport. We, for example, live 9 miles out of Punta Gorda and a one way taxi to town is $US22.50. If you have to buy all tours from a tour company, you will spend at least $US80 per person per tour, but with a car you can hire a guide to go with and pay about $US40 total for the day plus any park fees if you go to a ruin. Also, meals. With a car you can go to town or eat while out touring. If you are stuck with no transport, you will have to eat at your lodging and that can get pricy. And, of course, much depends on what you want to do while here but most do not want to sit around a lodge for days on end unless maybe you are birders or monkey enthusiasts.

Hope you have a great trip!

8. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:13 pm, January 08, 2011
9. Re: Drive or Fly? Belize city to Punta Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2011