We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Placencia
Search

Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
19 reviews
34 helpful votes
Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar
Save

Having a hard time deciding between the two. I get the difference in A/C what about beach access and access to excursions on the mainland (jungle, monkey river, etc.). Also, the better food could make a difference. Probably going to combine a couple of nights at one of these with a couple of nights out on one of the Caye resorts. Advice? Suggestions?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar
Save

Both very good and both next to each other, just outside Placencia village. TI has 3 public restaurants' and dining room; CM only had a kitchen that prepares meals to be served in your room or by the pool, but does not have a sit down eat in restaurant. CM has a/c and tv. TI ceiling fans.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
17,481 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar
Save

I'd opt for Turtle Inn, unless you really need the a/c. Chabil Mar is lovely, but, could be a condo anywhere on a beach. Turtle Inn feels tropical. I'd splurge for an ocean front room.

Both are close enough to town, that the food at the property itself wouldn't be an issue for me.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
19 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar
Save

Thanks! Can you walk to Palencia village for meals from Turtle Inn? That seems to be a big selling point for Chabil Mar? Also, is there much difference in the beach at either place?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
190 posts
66 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar
Save

You can walk from either, but Chabil Mar is closer and the beach section between Turtle Inn and Chabil Mar, about 100 yards, is undeveloped land/beachfront and can pose some challenges. I would like to expand on what Katie Valk stated about restaurant at Chabil Mar. She made it sound like room service, but it is far more than that. It is al fresco dining anywhere on the property. Below is information as noted on their web site and also you can read what many guests have just recently said in their review about their dining experiences at Chabil Mar right here on tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g291977-d600573…

From the Chabil Mar web site:

One of our recent guests wrote in their review of our approach to dining options - Café Mar, is not a restaurant in the traditional sense of a building for congregation, but rather an experience in freedom and Mother Nature. We wish we would have thought to describe it that way. We could not have said it better.

Your breakfast, lunch and dinner dining options on site at Chabil Mar are:

breakfast served on pier chabil mar resort

Cafe Mar Beach-side

Your Villa's Personal Veranda

Poolside

On the Pier under the stars

Kaleidoscope Bar & Lounge

"You Catch It - We Cook It"

Private Chef, Serving Staff and Custom Menus

Outdoor Grills

Fully equipped kitchen

Since it is a guest exclusive resort at Chabil Mar, it's much like it's your personal resort with just 20 accommodations, so never too many guests there. Love Turtle Inn too, but I wanted to clarify the previous comments because they are not all that inclusive of actual experiences. As for A/C, I would strongly consider it for that tropical climate, but, of course, that depends on your own preference and need for that creature comfort.

5. Re: Turtle Inn vs Chabil Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 07, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Placencia
Recent Conversations