We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re Sandfly bites

Midland
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Re Sandfly bites

I have been reading about the sandflies and how they have ruined some vacations....we are going to Placencia April 3rd mainly for the Whale Sharks but I am very worried now. Is April a better time of the year for the sand flies or is it just brutal year round ?. We plan on bringing all the deet bug sprays and baby oils and any other stuff we can find.

Our accommodation's are right on the beach so we will not be able to avoid the little buggers it seems ?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re Sandfly bites

I haven't spent lots of time in Placencia, but, when I have been there, I haven't found the sand flies any worse than many other beach destinaitons.

That said, I don't react to the bites. My husband does though, and, he's not had problems.

If the wind is blowing, they won't be a problem ocean front. They're too tiny to fight against the wind. Don't lie in the sand. They're generally worse at dawn and dusk.

Cover up at those times, either with clothing or baby oil (or some other sort of oil). It needs to go thick, it's not a repellent, they simply will drown in it.

I've read conflicting reports as to how effective Deet is. Since you want to avoid mosquito bites anyway, it sure won't hurt to use some.

Good luck and try not to stress. Maybe your family won't react to them either.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re Sandfly bites

April is a dry and breezy month, so I would anticipate an issue with them.

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re Sandfly bites

I am in Placencia now and the flies seem to bother me much more than my husband. The off with Deet has helped a lot and I went to the pharmacy and they gave me some cream for it. The cream was $9 US but well worth it. Stopped the itch and the bites heal up quickly.

Midland
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re Sandfly bites

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Its funny....summertime up here in Canada, if its dry and breezy=no mosquitoes. Dry and breezy in Placencia = sandflies...who knew lol

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re Sandfly bites

I can't help but think that comment was a typo. The insects are so tiny that any sort of breeze has always kept them away when I've been in beachy areas.

I agree about the dry and mosquitoes, they need fresh water to breed in.

Fort Atkinson, WI
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re Sandfly bites

Do you remember what the cream was called. They have so many options, I don't know what to choose.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re Sandfly bites

I have had a lot of luck with Vics Vapo Rub. They seem to hate it. And it smells a bit better than being covered in Deet.

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re Sandfly bites

Avon Skin so Soft, it works and non toxic

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re Sandfly bites

The locals told me they use shave cream on the ankles/legs to avoid the sand fleas.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re Sandfly bites

I agree - in my experience dry and breezy = no sandfly problems.