We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Placencia
Search

Don't do it

Austin, Texas
1 post
Don't do it
Save

Placencia Village has a dirty little beach. The buildings in town - well, most of them - are cute and there is a nice boardwalk that's great for shopping, if that is why you go to a Carribean beach town. There is a lot to do outside of Placencia Village, and most of those areas are very pretty and relatively clean . . . but Placencia Village has one of the dirtiest beaches I have ever seen. I have travelled the world, and I lived in a Central American banana republic for almost a decade, visiting more beach locations in Cent'l Am than I can count but the beach in Placencia is the most trash-ridden one I have ever seen. Worse beaches do exist no doubt, but it was pretty bad for a well-populated town with ex-pat $$ to throw at this scary condition. We were there for Thanksgiving and no one, and I mean NO ONE, was on the beach. I'd say it was because it was filled with a trillion different bits of small, broken plastic with the occassional pieces of glass. All sorts of well-raked beachfront houses had with well-raked crap blended in with the sand. It was GROSS but the worst part is knowing what that does to the beach and marine life. When I mentioned it to the locals (native and expat) I was told, oh well we go elsewhere to fish, snorkel, etc. . . you ought to see those places. Ok, will do and won't stay there again, ever. Not even if it was gratis

Edited: 10:24 pm, December 21, 2014
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
331 reviews
272 helpful votes
1. Re: Don't do it
Save

Here's my experience there:

…blogspot.com/2012/08/placencia.html

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
17,481 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Don't do it
Save

I've heard again and again that those tiny little bits of plastic and such are from the cruise ships. They grind their garbage and put it to sea. I don't know if that's true, but, it makes sense to me.

At least on Ambergris, where I spend most of my Belize time, it isn't there all the time. But, every once in a while, I'll head out on my morning beach walk, and the beach will be covered by those tiny pieces of, mostly, plastic.

Sorry it left you with such bad feelings about Placencia.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Don't do it
Save

We do from time to time have issues with miles and miles of floating garbage, none originating from Belize, but due to currents, can overwhelm the path they travel in. This is an international environmental issue and health problem for marine creatures. It is something exhausting and always expensive to keep up and clean up after. I do not doubt you were in Placencia when one of these garbage flotillas washed up on shore but do doubt your account of local people's reaction to it. I have a house in the area and know how people work so hard to keep up with it and maintain a clean beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Don't do it
Save

I think that, as stated above, you just have just had really bad timing. I spent a week in Placencia from Nov.29 to Dec.5 and walked a very long way along the (very long, not "little") beach on our second day there. I didn't see much in the way of trash at all. I did see a lot of garbage bags at intervals along the beach, so obviously there had been considerable recent clean-up. These "trash-storms" happen along every coastline from time to time--so many irresponsible corporate and private marine operators-- but if what you described at Thanksgiving was accurate, then I think the people of Placencia are to be commended for cleaning it up so thoroughly by the beginning of December.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Don't do it
Save

Seriously, does this look like "one of the dirtiest beaches (you) have ever seen"?

http://1drv.ms/1vh4T4S

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
122 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Don't do it
Save

I am sure some of the garbage is from Belize but a good majority is carried in from the sea

There were area's that had more than others probably where the sea is stronger

We also saw locals picking up trash daily

We We're there in November and enjoyed our stay

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
226 helpful votes
7. Re: Don't do it
Save

Placencia is where we usually go to get away for a short while, and while it's not a perfectly pristine beach, it's still nice to walk along and swim. I too have been there after a surge deposited plastic, but I know that can happen to many beaches depending on the gyres. I have also seen locals doing an organized beach clean up there, and it was impressive. I say, 'well done!' to them. And, "I hope you try it again, sorry you were there right after a surge brought the plastic ashore" to you. Merry Christmas!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Don't do it
Save

In fact, our army has been engaged to clean up the unmanageable floating islands of garbage. But you should all have read about the huge floating islands of garbage in our seas. We are killing ourselves

vestal, new york
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Don't do it
Save

We are immensely enjoying our stay in Placencia with our family of 13 ages 19 months to 72 years.

We are staying at the Mirasol apts and they have someone clean the beach each day. Let's hope they do not let cruise ships dock near here.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Don't do it
Save

Just got back from Placentia. A more disgusting beach I have never seen. Don't do it is exactly right. Wish I had seen the post before booking. Perhaps if enough people boycott Placentia the Belize people with stop pooping in their own nest. Shame on them.

Get answers to your questions about Placencia
Recent Conversations