We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay

My husband and I are planning a trip in May of 07 and we are really wondering what Placencia is really like. I have looked on several maps, read several reviews of hotels in Placencia and they seem that anything north of the airport is pretty much "in the middle of nowhere." We were thinking of staying at Maya Beach Hotel or Maya Breeze, but now they might be too far from the action. Any info on really how far Maya Beach is from Placencia Village? Should we stay in Placencia Village? Any suggestions for hotels in Placencia? We are spending a few nights in Placencia and a few nights on Ambergris. We like to have a quiet hotel room, but we also don't want to have to walk 2 to 3 miles a day into town. We love to experience the culture of new places as well. Any suggestions would be great!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay

A couple years ago we spent a couple nights in a small cabana on the beach on the north edge of Placencia village called Las Amigas. Nothing fancy, but it was just a few feet from the ocean, and very clean. A short walk down the sidewalk to restaurants and such.

I believe the Placencia peninsula is 25 miles or so long. If I stayed any where but in the village I'd want a car.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay

I'm sure I'll get blasted by people for writing this but we really didn't like Placencia. In fact, we left early for Ambergris Caye. I enjoy relaxing but this place was almost too relaxed if you can imagine! One day we wanted to do a few tours and tours were cancelled because it MIGHT rain that day....and we went to every place in the village that did tours and no one was doing them because rain was a possibility. There's just really not a whole lot to do and the beaches in the village weren't swimmable - full of sea grass. Our hotel didn't have a pool so with not being able to swim on the beach and with tours being cancelled, we didn't have much to do. We loved AC though and San Pedro - we had a really wonderful stay here and moving along early saved our vacation!

winnipeg
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay

If you like culture then stay right in Placencia. You will NOT be disappointed. It is charming. Maya Beach is quite a distance from town - you will need a car or taxi to get to/from the village. We went to Placencia in April '06 and stayed at South Waters in a Cabana for four nights before going on a one week Moorings sailing trip. South Waters Cabanas are one of the least expensive options if you want to be on the beach and away from some of the louder areas in Placencia (which are near the boardwalk). We were still very close to the boardwalk, about a 2 min. walk from the south end. South Waters also have a few upstairs rooms (above the Moorings). If you can afford it they looked nice. Twice we rented bikes and rode up to the resort area north of the airport and had lunch at Robert's Grove (a usual American style resort hotel - seen one.....seen 'em all) and the next day to Rum Point (older style resort and in need of repair). Do not attempt the ride unless you are comfortable with a bike, have a hat, don't mind dust in your face, and can manage washboard roads and big rocks on a bicycle with no gears. If you are on a budget (or would rather spend your cash on tours, awesome pottery, etc.) another suggestion is Dianni's. Right beside South Waters. Dianni has nice clean rooms and the restaurant below has good breakfasts which you should definitely consider before taking any tour. We heard Ranguana Cabanas were nice but only if you get a NEW cabana. However, we also heard this part of the boardwalk is noisy (as its near the Tipsy Tuna which is party central) . If money is no option I would look at Mariposa, Chabil Mar, Casa del Sol, or Turtle Inn all north of the village and south of the airport. Not sure how long the walk would be, but they are approx. a 10 min. bike ride to the village (on paved road). Right in the village, i highly recommend having dinner at Wendy's for fresh fish, The Galley behind the soccer field for great pizza and Tutti Fruitti ( a must even if you are not an ice cream lover!). De Tatch is over rated in my opinion, unless you like overcooked farmed shrimp. Purple Space Monkey is interesting, but the meal we had was just ok and a bit pricey. Although their iced cappucino is very good. I recommend doing the full day tour of the ruins in the morning and the cave in the afternoon but only, and I mean only if you are fit as you will be trekking over some semi-tough terrain. Well, ok, not for the ruins. But the cave we did was a wet cave and you MUST be OK with water chest deep, crab crawling over boulders and swimming while wearing a life jacket and head lamp in water that is a might tepid. But worth it if you are up to an incredible adventure. The tour operators might not require you have any special gear, however, heavy duty sandlas like Keen's are a MUST. If you do the cave tour, leave all your valuables in a safe at your hotel - I mean it! There is no where to lock them up once you enter the cave. Only bring a waterproof camera on the wet cave tour. Bring some cash though as there will be locals selling their hand crafted goods at good prices. In fact, leave your gold, diamonds, etc. at home. You won't need them in Belize and you will be worried about them if you go snorkelling, etc. One other thing... in Placencia and islands nearby, is spray your feet, ankles and lower legs with bug spray at dusk. This is not a suggestion - its an order! The sand flies can be vicious and bites can easily ruin several nights of sleep with burning and itching like you've never experienced before! Otherwise, Placencia is awesome and we are planning a return trip in '07!

Alaska
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay

We were in Placencia for nearly a week in March '06. Stayed at ?ToucanLuLu (toucanlulu.com). The cabana was fine. Nice beach right out the door; but thegunk at water's edge had to be waded through to get into anything half decent for swimming.

Action in Placencia? Not much that I noticed.

But I'd sooner stay around the village than up north. At least talking with the locals was good and arranging tours/snorkeling/diving easy with a pick of operators.

Placencia, Belize
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay

Make things simple for you, visit www.placencia.com, you will find most accommodations listed on their, luxury to budget, and also links to their main sites.

6. Re: Places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 20, 2009