We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

Me and my girlfriend are thinking of visiting placencia in March but want to make sure it isn't extremely anti-LGBT. I can pass for straight (am quite feminine looking) but she has a short haircut and would probably look gay to most Americans. Anyone have any knowledge about how we might be treated in our hotel/at restaurants/bars/in town? We'd like to be able to do the same socially appropriate PDA that straight people do …such as holding hands, being cute, etc. What are the chances of harassment and discrimination? Are there any parts of town or places in particular we should avoid?

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

You'll be fine. People overall are welcoming and accepting. I've seen plenty of same sex couples holding hands or walking with their arms around each other.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

You might get some stares -- that's about it.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

I lived there quite some time, you will be perfectly fine and will have a great time no need to worry.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

Placencia is totally safe. I wonder if you'll even get any stares at this point. I wouldn't do that in Seine Bight, which is 5 miles north from there, but if you find yourself in Seine Bight, you are probably lost anyways. Have fun, and be sure and check out Barefoot Bar and Tutti Fruiti gelato.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

Not likely to have any issues in Placencia. I know one very openly gay male Placencia resident who has been know to dress in drag on special occassions...just another member of the community.

Edited: 7:55 pm, November 15, 2013
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

No problem at all guys, we had many gay and lesbians guests and none of them have never told me about any kind of discrimination. This is a peaceful and open mind community even if I have to say that it is my understanding that the the Belizean Law is against same sex relationships and marriages but it looks like they are trying to fix this issue because it is really obsolete...

San Pedro, Belize...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

i have planned several LGBT weddings, no one really seems to care one way or the other. You'll be perfectly fine :)

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

We welcome gays, from Millers Landing

9. Re: Is Placencia safe for two gay women?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Placencia