We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

Please, Please be aware of this women...she had $2000 of our rental money...2 wks before departure she changes our rental property, we weren't happy but had no choice at such short notice because we were renting for 1 month...Get into Placencia to find she has changed all our reservations again and hasen't paid anybody either a deposit or paid my rent in full with the money we gave her...After 4 days of chasing her we threatened her with the police authorities, she had our money in 6 hrs...Don't trust this women, she is also a real estate agent in the village along with owening the storage units out by the airport....we are not the only tourists in the village she owed money to...please beware of Ruth....

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

In 2010 I paid Ruth Turner and Fred Arbona a total of $45000, for a property that they never own. To this day I have not received my land title. The whole thing has been base on lies right from the beginning. Do not give those two any $ not even a penny they are first class scammers.

canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

fozz01 I am so sorry of the loss of your money…….I know the only way we got our money was that we threatened them with police…..Fred read this bleep, and I received a nasty note from him, saying it was basically all our fault, we expected to much…..Not sure how you get them not paying our rental property, and they had our money for a year our fault…..Our friends were just there again, and now Ruth has a different job, something to do with water in Placencia…..I know when I was there last year, Ruth still owed Yoli & Regan from Yoli's bar money, and the couple beside us from New York, she hasn't paid there rental money to One World Rental either…Not sure if Claudia ever got her money….And this couple were in the same boat as us, booked a cabana with Ruth the year before, paid there deposit and then to find out when they arrive they don't have a cabana and Ruth has booked them into One World……Claudia was amazing from One World, if it wasn't for her our holiday would of been a lot more stressful….I wrote a letter to the Real Estate board, because at that time Ruth was selling real estate in PLacencia, never heard back……I would not ever, ever trust these two again….They still have a storage unit rental out by the airport, I wouldn't trust either one of them as far as I could throw them…..I am so sorry for your loss of money….Neither one of those have an conscious at all, they don't care they rip people off……I believe in karma, so I can't wait!!

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

Write letter to editor info@placencia.com

Placencia Breeze

And contact BTB to report. Or police

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Dangriga, Belize
Level Contributor
4 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

Wow. Ruth is taking a beating here! There are some bad seeds in BZ culture. What everyone needs to remember is: 1. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! 2. Everything will cost somehow. I looked into a reputable apartment complex and see a BZ owner will show a great rate but nickel and dime you for incidentals. I renter from a real Archie Bunker type. Talk about racist! Got apt through a friend so price was good and I stuck it out knowing he wasn't likely to provide any cheerful refunds.

Get things in writing BEFORE you drop any money. Unless you know and trust someone there to act in your behalf, rent your unit using a credit card. A paper trail will come in handy if you get played by any unscrupulous characters. The Tourist Police can help you with most anything. Personally, I know about a half dozen Police Officers. Rafael Caliz aka "Black" is the man to see with any traveler issue you might have. He found me a ride to the airport on a Sunday morning to leave for home during my first trip. Trip Advisor writers do try and give a biased opinion when doing evaluations and reviews. Or generate friendships with the locals.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

No you and Ruth are plain scammer you took $$$ me and my friend Williy and his wife. You will end up in the big house. And the warrant for your arrest is out in the USA you know that.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
United States
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

Lots of strange politics going on in Belize and in Placencia we met many locals that love to tell the stories of all the stuff that goes down...strange vibe in that place and seems confirmed from some of the posts here from locals.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Placencia, Belize
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

This is the first I saw your response and was by mere chance. Incredible how you have misused the Internet to spout your personal venom.

First you had NO business dragging my name into this, nor of MY ex-business (Placencia Mini Storage at the time into it); Ruth Turner is/nor was co-owner of it. Your dealing was with a fellow Canadian (Steve Wark) and Ruth Turner concerning the renting of his personal house.

You have done the most irresponsible thing in your typical mean-spirited and vicious manner, and for that you should be taken to task. You are totally irresponsible and totally wreckless.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Placencia, Belize
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

And what exactly does this mean? "Fred read this bleep, and I received a nasty note from him, saying it was basically all our fault, we expected to much".

I have NEVER conversed with you privately then and certainly since, so how did you fabricate this outright and utter lie?

Edited: 6:29 pm, February 18, 2015
19. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, February 18, 2015
Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Beware of a Ruth Turner-Arbona in Placencia Belize

Ruth where is my $45k that you took and never produce a land title for the property that you "own". You and Fred are nothing but a two crooks. You will end up in jail.