We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Lyndhurst, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Has anyone stayed there? Would you recommend it? I have heard nothing but good things. My one concern is the beach area. I have seen pics where the water looks a bit murky? Thanks all.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Mmm, Maya Beach Hotel Bistro is in the hood. Color of water changes with rains, winds and currents, but it is often clear and beautiful blue.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel Bistro
Maya Beach Hotel Bistro
1,519 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Lyndhurst, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

"The hood". Its a dangerous area? Haven't read or anything like that.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Just an expression for a neighborhood or community. Maya Beach is an ex pat community

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
703 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
336 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Personally, we thought Maya Beach was too far out of town. We loved Chabil Mar closer to town - beautiful, quiet and a lovely location. Would definitely stay there again. The water and beach in front were great. Plus they have their own pier you can swim from with a ladder to get yourself back up.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
703 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Chabil Mar
Chabil Mar
850 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Maya Beach is fine. Seine Bight is the 'hood' as you're thinking. I'd also recommend checking out Chabil Mar. We really liked it.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
703 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Chabil Mar
Chabil Mar
850 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

Maya Beach Hotel is wonderful. The food is terrific, and while we only ate there and didn't see the rooms, I imagine they are lovely. We stayed at Cocoplum about 10 mins down the road, and our beach and water were wonderful - warm water with no sea grass and soft white sand. The water was clear and very calm, so easy to swim even laps if you want. I assume the beach at Maya beach Hotel would be the same. If you'll have a car, it's fine to be out of town where Maya Beach is.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
703 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
boson, ma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

i stayed at maya beach hotel and recommend it. i dont' think the beach could be different from the others in placencia. it is not the kind of beach you can easilly run out into the water, i.e. rocks but it is very pretty - they rake the sand every morning; you can also jump off the dock and swim; the picutres on the web site are accurate re the views, with lounge chairs etc.... it is a 15-20 minute taxi ride from placencia village and you do drive through siene bright which is not a rich area at all; that did not bother me at all but it might bother other people i guess. i went into placencia village and definitely preferred maya beach over the village but that is totally a personal choice. at maya beach you can choose a villa with private pool or less expensive basic clean rooms. if you read enough reivews of both i think you'll be able to pick the best choice for you! have a great time in belize ;-D

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

We are staying here at the moment. It is further out of town than we had thought. Difficult to tell you about the sea as the weather is pretty awful. Pouring with rain and strong winds so haven't had a chance to get in the water. I would say - because of weather we would have preferred staying in Placencia just for the fact we could look around some shops but accommodation is fine and food good in restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Seattle
Level Contributor
372 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

@Dotiainedinbu did you fly into Placencia or drive?

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay at Maya Beach in Placencia

We flew in. Stayed overnight in Miami then to Belize city airport and onto Placencia. Journey from the UK was long enough without having to drive here. We are here for a week and then onto Ambergris. Tried to get the bus into Placencia last night but waited 40 mins and didn't turn up. We will go by taxi next time whichnInbelieve is about 20 USD one way. If you are looking for more life I would definitely recommend staying nearer the centre. It is 8 miles away from the hotel and not something I would like to cycle at night. Roads are pitch black plus the cost of taxis back and forward. Not fun either if it is around 30 degrees!

Dot

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize