We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand flies

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sand flies

How is the current sand fly/flea situation . We are heading that way at the end of the month. A friend is in San ignacio now and sent me a message saying there seemed to be a problem ??. Yes ... No ..... Average ?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand flies

A lot of it depends on the wind. There's really no way to predict for a few days from now, let alone a few weeks.

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand flies

Just bring Avon skin so soft, they won't bother you

Central America
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand flies

Varies a lot depending upon specific location and weather, even relatively small changes in location and weather can make a big difference. Coastal Belize in general does tend to have some spots with pretty nasty sand flies.

Typically they are only an issue around sunrise and sunset. So, have your preferred bug dope ready for those times. Various types of scented oils, like Skin-so-Soft, work pretty well and you're not slathering yourself in pesticides.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
337 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand flies

Downside: Skin So Soft did nothing for me nor my daughter but I brought Deep Woods Off in a non-aerosol with me and that worked great. Upside: the sand flies were only bothersome one night in Placencia. None in San Ignacio nor the rest of our trip.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand flies

I don't know where they'd be in Cayo. We do have the botlas in a few areas, mostly MPR. They are also called no-see-ums, and Avon SSS and deet both repel them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand flies

In Canada we call them no see ums. Pesky little buggers.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand flies

We just got back from a week on Placencia and although we loved it, my daughters and I did get a zillion no-see-um bites that itched like crazy. We tried Skintastic and Deep Woods Off and neither was fool-proof. It didn't really interfere w a great vacation, but it was annoying.

8. Re: Sand flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 08, 2014