We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

CA
1 post
Save Topic
Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

Those of you who have stayed at or seen both resorts, which do you think is nicer?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

LB is a recently opened condo next to RG. I've booked lots of very happy clients here. Check on the status of their restaurant, I think closed for now. Nice rooms, staff, pool and beach. RG is one of the finest inns in the country, great attention to detail, large attentive staff, dive shop and trip center on premises, cable tv and lots of comp gear for guests, two good restaurants on premises, 3 pools, bars, etc, comprehensive services. Considered one of the best in Belize.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

Really liked Larubeya. Restaurant is open 3 times a day now. Quiet, private pool and sailboat, kayak. Staff really cares. Roberts has alot of extra expenses. LB has your own kitchen in some units.

Hallowell, Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

We just finished a week at IRG and had absolutely no complaints.

Seattle
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

We stayed in Laru Beya and had most of our meals at Robert's Grove, and I think we got the best of both worlds. The rooms in Laru Beya are clean and new, and they have the complimentary use of kayaks, hobiecats, and a great, always super clean, pool. The only thing they are missing is food selection (their restaurant was open but only had one thing on their menu), which you can just hop over to Robert's Grove for. They share the same beach and view.

Denver, CO
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

Just returned yesterday from 8 days in Belize; spent the first 4 nights in Placencia. We originally booked all 4 nights at Laru Beya, but found that it wasn't what we were looking for on our honeymoon, so we moved to Robert's Grove for the next 3 nights. Laru Beya is very quiet and perfect for immersing yourself in relaxation. As has already been mentioned, Laru Beya is brand new, so some things are not quite complete (no phones in the rooms and no real front desk / check-in area). The staff is very nice; David, the manager, was very understanding of our desire to move to Roberts Grove.

Not much to say about Roberts Grove, other than absolute perfection. The grounds are immaculate, the staff engaging and friendly and the rooms are beautiful (we stayed in #23; a 2nd floor ocean-view). It is everything you could want in a resort and more.

Feel free to email me with any questions, happy to tell you all about our trip and even send pictures: ccholloway@hotmail.com.

Dallas, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

How far is Laru Beya from town? I booked the first three nights of a 7 night Belize trip at Laru Beya and really do not know a ton about it other than the little that has been mentioned on the Web site. Any info people may have on the hotel and things to do there would be appreciated...

PORTLAND
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

On Laru Beya- I had to write the manager over and over again because she was not receiving my emails for some odd reason and not being responsive. So after all the back and forth I called a week before arrival to confirm verbally that all was set. Also an email was sent stating that the restaurant is open 7 days a week, drinks were to be served poolside and we were getting a little something extra for our honeymoon. Great!

So when it's time to take the puddle jumper over to Placencia I thought I better make sure one last time and have my prior hotel give them a ring. They had no idea we were even coming!

It turns out the manager resigned the week before we were to arrive and the 2 left in charge lost our reservation info (Funny it mysteriously appeared when it came to the billing). The people left to manage the hotel were someone that normally works the kitchen as the receptionist/guest services person and the accountant posing as a manager of some sort. The only other 2 employees on sight were two sand rakers. So we get there and were put into this far-from-the-ocean standard room (Why not put us somewhere special since the place is empty???), and they informed us that the kitchen and bar are closed all week. It was literally like a ghost town, us and one other room was booked with people who's reservations were also lost, and like us were not informed that there is a serious management transition in place, and it is literally unfit for guests! They also insisted that a 10% service charge be kept on the bill even though there was no food/beverage staff or anyone guest services oriented on duty.

We were expected to leech off the hotel next store for anything.. Booking trips (since the "receptionist" was far from helpful or caring), meals, phone usage.. Speaking of which, we asked to use their phone to book a trip after all that happened and the "receptionist" started to write a bill for our phone usage! Isn't that her job to offer to book a trip for us? I was told their "knowledgeable friendly staff" would do this. No one knew a thing. She wouldn't have the first clue in even knowing what tour companies the hotel uses. Every time we walked into the office to ask questions/get help it was "inconveniencing" her and usually resulted in her getting the accountant who was posing as manager. Not that in was entirely even their fault-The owner should have stepped in at a time like this and known to not leave a cook and accountant in charge. Either one had no clue how to manage a hotel, had any hospitality, or should be left there alone with guests staying at the hotel. And never once did we get an apology, or an offer to upgrade our room, compensation, or a concern for what they were putting us through. It was a complete joke. I believe that they left the premisses to go home at 7:00 or so, leaving us totally alone without a phone, or anyone on duty if something happens. We went to use one of their kayaks and the sand raker gave us a hand. If we would have never returned, no one at this establishment would have noticed or cared. Kinda scary when I think back. We proceeded to get a refund for our last two nights because we were so miserable from the bad vibes and lack of service at this vacant hotel. They didn't hold up to their side of the deal, why should I? They actually agreed, and wrote me a note stating we will get a refund in two days... That was a week and a half ago. Oh yeah- and during this conversation in the office, the sand raker comes in and accuses us of switching out the 2 man kayak we took out with a one-man somewhere else. Is that possible? He was standing there for a good 10 min. and wouldn't give it up! They later found it - someone from the neighboring hotel borrowed it... This place literally ruined 2 days of our honeymoon. I was in tears.

8. Re: Laru Beya vs. Roberts Grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Placencia