We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap way to get to placencia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
cheap way to get to placencia

I am planning a trip to placencia this july. Are there shuttles from the airport to placencia? Or what are the public buses like? Does anyone know where I can get a bus schedule?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

There are not any regular "shuttles".

There are transfer services, but they will cost a few hundred BZ$.

There are buses. The fare from Belize City to Placencia is about BZ$20, but you have to get from the airport to the bus terminal in BC to get the bus.

A taxi from the airport to BC is BZ$50. Another option is to walk or taxi from the airport terminal to the highway (a couple of km) and get a bus to BC (BZ$1).

See the BelizeBus Guide for more details...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

The regular Belize buses are old school buses so not very comfortable.

The BelizeBus site has a list of transfer services.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

Thanks for your response. I will look at the website.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

The flight from the International airport to Placencia is US$205 return approximately and takes about half an hour. If you only have limited time in Belize I would invest in the flight. the bus is going to take all day, also, when does your flight arrive? You really don't want to be on the road after dark - around 6pm - and buses to Placencia are not extremely requent.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

Our flight arrives in Belize around 11:45 am and we will be there for a week. I have been reading about the bus and it seems like it will take forever. But I have also been reading about shuttles/transfer services. I found Discounted Belize Shuttles discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com/Shuttle…

I've contacted this company and their price for 2 people round trip from the airport to Placencia is $280. I've seen some reviews and they seem pretty good, have you heard anything about them? It will be nice to have someone there waiting for us and adhering to our schedule rather than having to wait around for the bus.

The flight just seems so expensive...$400 round trip per person...for a half hour flight that's ridiculous. I mean if you don't have a lot of time at the place then it's great but I've just been looking around for a cheaper way of travel to Placencia.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

I haven't heard anything negative about that service.

William's Belize Shuttle is another one that gets positive comments.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

Thanks. I emailed williams also but haven't heard back yet. I can't wait for our trip!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

Andrea,

"their price for 2 people round trip from the airport to Placencia is $280."

That looks like US$, but could you confirm if it's US$ or BZ$? For a round trip, it's a good price.

Edited: 1:28 pm, February 14, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

That is US dollars.

Minneapolis...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap way to get to placencia

We are flying Tropic Air and our tickets, round trip to Placencia are $200 per person, round trip....for two of us the total was $400, round-trip, US $. Our time was worth the extra $30 we had to pay for the flight versus the shuttle. If you have more than 2 people to split the cost, I would shuttle, but if it is two or less, the flight is the best way to go in my opinion.

Get answers to your questions about Placencia