We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week in Placencia, then what?

new jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
week in Placencia, then what?

Hi, I'm traveling solo to Placencia for a week of chilled-out beach and ocean activities. After that I have 3 or 4 days left before heading home and would love some advice. I'd like to do some cave/jungle stuff (zip like and/or hiking, not so much mayan ruins, I've seen a lot of those already). I'll be flying back from Belize City.

Where do you suggest I go after Placencia to get some cave/jungle experience, that's in a logical spot geographically so I don't loose too much time traveling? No fancy resorts, a more rustic but still slightly comfortable place would be ideal, and preferably a place where being solo is not weird. Or can I do all of these things in day trips from Placencia?

Thanks so much for any suggestions! I'm super excited about going, it's been a while since I had a great trip to look forward to!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: week in Placencia, then what?

It's a pretty long road trip to go Cave/Zip from Placencia. Maybe you want to move up towards your departure point and stay somewhere like Caves Branch or Belize Jungle Dome? Going out on a limb, I always enjoying staying at the Radisson in Belize City , but I realize the city is not for everyone. From there you can easily take day trips to cave/zip etc.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: week in Placencia, then what?

Cayo would be your base for the jungle excursions. Check out Bullet Tree Falls if you want to stay away from downtown, yet close to it all. Caves Branch would be a good spot to stay for a night if you did tubing there. That way you could see the Blue Hole across the street from there too.

Have fun!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: week in Placencia, then what?

You could get zip lining/river tubing and a hike in Cockscombe Jaguar Preserve as day trips from Placencia - maybe even as a diversion from chilling on the beach. Monkey River is also a good jungle and river trip. Caving depends on what you are interested in - ATM cave is considered to be one of those must do things but if you have limited interest in Maya culture, you could consider Blue Creek Cave also as a day trip out of Placencia - where you swim a long way into the cave until you come to an underground waterfall..

Regards

Ralph

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: week in Placencia, then what?

Ralph has some good points. But if you're in Belize that long, you really should see more than one spot. I love Placencia, and go all the time, but I wouldn't stay that long there. Also, there's a cave at the Blue Hole, across from Caves Branch Lodge, called Mountain Cow cave. It's an amazing cave! I doubt I'll ever do ATM again now that I know about that one. Choices, choices! Enjoy!

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: week in Placencia, then what?

I would go to Banana Bank lodge, it is near Belmopan, but in beautiful natural setting, horsebank riding in jungle, near zip line, rivers, caving,

6. Re: week in Placencia, then what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, May 13, 2013