We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Monkey River tour

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Monkey River tour

I had the pleasure of traveling to Belize last week and stayed at Maya Beach Hotel. My friend and I took the Monkey River tour. We loved it but since I struggled to find tips before we went, I thought I'd add my own here for everyone to come.

First, I was grateful I wore long pants. The day we went, it was dry back at Maya Beach, and pouring rain all the way through the mangroves and in the jungle. We didn't mind the rain ( we're in the tropics after all), but again, long pants saved us. Wear a rain slicker. Also, wear grippy comfy shoes. It was super muddy and slippery in the jungle. The vines have prickers so there's no holding on if you're falling down. Just be prepared. Aside from all this info, it's definitely worth it and such an adventure.

Also if your tour stops for lunch at the Black Coral restaurant, you'll be able to use a clean bathroom at the restaurant. You'll stop there when you first get to Monkey River village.to make your lunch order and when you return from the jungle to have your lunch. The lunch was good! Re: bathrooms, I don't know if they're available for folks not stopping for lunch- they might be--I just can't promise anything. But they are there which is nice.

Bring DEET into the jungle with you. Some of our party needed some more and it was nice to share. I applied DEET lotion in advance, but was happy I had some spray w me too. Lots of bugs, but w DEET we were well protected.

Those are my tips. Do the tour. It's an unusual experience. Hope this helps.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

Thanks for posting!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
242 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

thanks for taking the time to post

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

These are good tips. I was amazed by the people in our group that were wearing open shoes, shorts, had no bug spray. The bugs were vicous, but we had Sawyer's, so were fine. And for our kid that is a bug magnet, she had Sawyer's AND was completely covered, even with a hat and face net, as I don't like to put DEET on her face or hands. And she was fine. But others were getting eaten up....so we shared too!

We did not eat at Black Coral, but the other restaurant and it was good too. Very yummy friend fish and veggie rice. They also had these limes that were orange inside on our plates. They called the Jamacian Limes....never seen them before.

Be prepared that, unless it is very hot, the boats often go VERY fast going and coming the River entrance. So, it can get windy and chilly. There were some people with just t shirts and they were freezing. We took the boat from Roberts Grove and it was a pretty long haul at high speed.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
328 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

Thank you so much for posting this. We will be doing this tour in 10 weeks (not that I'm counting). We've got Percy Gordon as our guide and I absolutely can't wait. But you just confirmed some of my packing needs.

I bought Deep Woods Off in a spray pump which is 23% DEET and am hoping that will do the job.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

Percy is waaay cool you will love him. I have seen people take that tour in bikini and flip flops - tchroo! The most important tip is this - when you stand under the trees gazing up at the monkeys - keep your mouth closed. They wee and worse on the visitors below sometimes, it is their party trick. The other restaurant is Alice's Restaurant 9Percy's mum.) Clean bathroom and good food there too. Never hesitate to ask to use the bathroom even if you are not eating at a place.

Good tips re slickers shoes etc, although not so needed in the dry season.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
328 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

I've never seen a monkey (zoos not wild) that didn't do something wholly inappropriate ranging from things I did not want to explain to my daughter to throwing poo. Neat. We had an orang at the New Orleans zoo flip us the bird, another thing I didn't want to explain. So point well taken that we will treat the monkeys with the utmote respect and distance. I'm ok with monkey poo from afar but make any poisonous snakes invisible please. Ditto anything with a stinger.

Can't wait to get the full Percy experience! He sounds larger than life which will make it memorable.

Milton, Delaware
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

Percy is fantastic. You will love him. Born and raised in Monkey River village so you get a lot of first hand knowledge of the jungle and the howlers along with a great personality. You are gonna love that trip.

Monkey River Belize
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

If you ever need to get in touch with Percy Gordon to get a Monkey River trip, he has a website www.kingofthehowlers.com

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

Hi SuzeOo,

Thanks for your tips! My boyfriend and I are staying at MBH at the end of August and were looking into doing this tour as well. Did you book your tour through the hotel? As well, would you mind sharing which other tours you did/recommend while in Placencia and if you booked them all through MBH?

Thank you!

Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for Monkey River tour

Long pants and long sleeve t-shirt work great.

The mosquitoes are controllable with bug spray.

If you have a movie camera take it, the footage can be hilarious!

We used a guide named Jason, who we booked through Laru Beya Resort.

This young man had been giving tours for 10 years, and it showed.

I thought I was with the Crocodile guy, Steve Irwin.

We saw bats, manatees, crocodiles, baby birds, birds nests, termite mounds, ate termites, ate jungle fruit, monkeys, everything.

At the end of the tour you eat at Alice's Restaurant in Monkey River.

The food was excellent, in the top three of our trip.

Jason speeds through the Mangos, which is kind of neat, it makes a 45 minute trip to Monkey River into a jet boat ride.

No one we talked to saw the animals or had any where near the trip we had.