We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping on any caye

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Camping on any caye

We are heading to Placencia in late April. We would like to camp on a caye for 3-4 nights. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations over the southern cayes vs turneffe or lighthouse. We are not divers but love to snorkel, swim and relax. We are also looking for a boat to take us out to Glover's if possible, we don't want to stay a whole week. Thanks for the help.

fayetteville, ar
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping on any caye

Noel in Hopkins can take you to glovers and back. His number is 501-523-7219 or 501-614- 8686. He charges about $300 round-trip - that seems to be the going rate from hopkins. Someone from Placencia may charge a bit more - because it's further. You may be anbe to ask around in placencia for someone to take you out and back

If you can sea kayak and know when the tide comes in and out and have a map of the cayes - you can sea kayak right from placencia to many cayes and sleep on all of them. This is the free way to do it. Saks and other resorts in placencia can take you to a caye to sleep for a couple of nights - but the prices are very high. Or, you may be able to make contact with a local who can take you out to the cayes near placencia where you can camp. I've never been to turneffe or lighthouse.

My suggestion - go to glovers for a few days - it's in the middle of nowhere and the snorkling is nuts - plus you can kayak to nearby cayes from there by renting at glovers atoll resort. Then, maybe have kittys or another guide take you around to the cayes around placencis for a day - this way you'l see even more cayes.

Noel can also boat you around to the cayes off hopkins/dangriga

good luck, clay (jcearl@uark.edu)

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping on any caye

www.placencia.com Good options, I like French Louie Caye operated by Kitty Fox

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping on any caye

Thank you very much for the help. We are looking into French Louie and Glover's now. It seems like we will pursue Glover's for now. Might get a better experience of camping and relaxation. Will keep you updated.

Is it easy to get to Hopkins from Placencia by Taxi or bus?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping on any caye

KatieValk

I assume the owner of French Louis Caye is the same Kitty that used to own Kitty's Place. True? Did she not sell the Caye with the resort?

We had lunch there on a snorkeling trip. Its a very nice spot.