We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
802 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

We are trying to make a last minute post-Christmas trip to Belize (crazy, I know). I have been looking and looking, but seem to only find (on this site at least) either very high end condos/resorts (over $350/night) and very low (under $100) that seem a titch below what we are looking for. We have 3 kids, so want some place nice, with a pool and some amenities, but do not need super fancy. Just a nice clean place, on the beach and near enough to Placencia to be able to explore the town and eat in the restaurants there some (and for ice cream!).

Are we asking too much?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

http://www.juliascabanas.com/reserve_a_room

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

I guess I was hoping for a little nicer than that...maybe a pool, but not a huge resort. Anybody?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

you might look at Cancun, seems more your style

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

Really? I want a little more service than a rental house, but not a huge resort, and you conclude that I need to stay in Cancun?

Wow.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

I haven't spent lots of time in Placencia, but, would agree that there isn't much in the moderate price range. Not many swimming pools either.

I'm thinking you'll have to up your budget or consider Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

I was in the same situation as you, looking for comfortable place to stay with kids in Placencia area, unfortunately it seems as the mid-range accomodations are not easy to find. We also wanted a pool for our son, and something more than a simple hut on a beach, finally decided to go with Chabil Mar and opted for more budget hotel in San Pedro as it seems that location has much more lodging options. Try looking at expedia, they had best prices, we foud it less expensive than booking through the hotel.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

San Pedro is more expensive, like for like, but has a wider range of mid price accommodation. I would not suggest Julia's for you, although I stay there myself when I need to overnight in Placencia for meetings etc, and it is OK for that. Most places don't have a pool as you are right on the beach. You could look at Seaspray, Ranguana Lodge and Paradise - they might fit the bill. I suspect you would hate Cancun! Mid range accommodation IS hard to find in Placencia, also, I know that Christmas is filling up this year so don;t leave it too long.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
337 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

We decided to stay at Cahal Pech in San Ignacio (has pools, restaurant, family cabana with two bedrooms/two bathrooms) for $119/night to get our jungle experience and at Chabil Mar in Plancencia for a deluxe resort at $450/night for the beach and scuba. Four nights at each place. This seemed a reasonable way to overall get a "mid-range" vacation for the 8 days. Haven't been yet to report back but lots of good feedback here on both.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

Thanks for the helpful feedback all. Yes, we are doing 4 nights at a fairly reasonable place in the jungle, but not cheap, so we looking for similar here. Think we too will end up at Roberts or Chabil Mar. The kids love a pool and watersports at easy access.

And I hate Cancun. Well, if someone else is paying and I just give myself over to the drinks and beach, I am okay......

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay between superfancy and not so great?

Be aware if you choose Robert's Grove that you won't be close enough to walk to the village....