We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

We're planning a dive trip to Placensia in June of 2012 and are reserving 2 days for day tours. What do folks recommend as far as which tours to do? We're thinking Monkey River and Jaguar Preserve, but are open to suggestions. We love nature and animals.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

You picked my favourites.

Regards

Ralph

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

If I could click 'like' on Ralph's post I would.

Lucy

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

One of the Mayan sites in the Toledo district combined with Blue Creek cave too

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

You can also do night tours along Monkey River, you don't see the monkeys, but you will see lots of wildlife esp birds and crocs close up. Birds behave very differently at night when they are roosting.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

You can do night hikes in Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve too. The hike is usually one along the river without any ups and downs. You need to go with a guide to get the most out of a night hike. I think you can arrange it with the park rangers but I have always gone with a guide from the village of Maya Center which is on the southern highway at the turnoff to the preserve (ie i I am not sure if the park rangers have the lights). It is best done with only one or two people with the guide as you need to be able to move quietly and hear the guide whisper. We were looking for mamals rather than birds.

I have not tried the Monkey River tour at night so can't comment other than to say it would probably be easier as you don't have to walk on uneven trails in the dark.

Regards

Ralph

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

will your stay coincide with the lobster festival? leave time for that if so

suitcaseready.com

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

you can combine a visit to Cockscomb with one to Hopkins, maybe have lunch on the beach at Driftwood Pizza. Cross the bridge over Sittee River just north of Maya Center, then turn off at the first right and drive along the beautiful Sittee River to Hopkins. You can also go horseback riding at a place on the highway right by the turn-off.

8. Re: Non-scuba activities in Placensia in June 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, October 16, 2012