We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

My husband and I are avid divers/snorkelers, and want to take a vacation in Belize. We have never visited Belize before, but have only heard wonderful things about diving there. We have narrowed down to Placencia for the area, given the proximity to great dive sites. As for accommodations, we are considering Chabir Mar or Coco Plum, and would love to hear feedback about the pro's and con's of both/either and comparisons. One of our concerns about Coco Plum is that the restrictive nature of dining options -- i.e. you are stuck there and have only the all-inclusive meals options -- are there a variety of choices per meal? How accommodating might the owners be?

Any feedback/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

These are two very different options. CM is on the Placencia peninsula, about two miles from the village and 19 miles from the reef. CCP Caye is about 7 miles from Dangriga and another 3 miles to the reef. Ask them to send you sample menus. If you want dining, tour, shop and other options, stay in Placencia. If you want to be on a small private island, then consider CCP or others, even closer to the reef with walk in snorkeling.

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

Thank you for your reply, katievalk. Do you have other recommendations on places to consider closer to the reef? We are looking for a mix of some luxury and activity (mainly diving/snorkeling). We know so little about Belize, all leads/suggestions to consider would be appreciated.

Indian Beach, NC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

You may want to stay at Chabil Mar as this is much closer to town (Placencia).

CocoPlum is approximately 4 miles from Placencia, actually much closer to Maya Beach than Placencia. I am condo owner at CocoPlum so am familiar with area.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

I asssume you are asking about CCP Caye, not CCP resort community on the Placencia peninsula, right?

South Water Caye is on the reef, but sounds like you want more upscale than that-so look at the lodges on the atolls like Turneffe Island Lodge with a pool. Another new place opening at Hatchet Caye on the reef 19 miles from Placencia. Roberts Caye operated by Robertys Grove is not on the reef, but take a look at that. and many more options to consider as well.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

You might want to consider one of the atoll island properties like Turneffe Island Lodge, Blackbird Caye or Isla Marisol. These would be more similar to Coco Plum including meals and diving as part of the package. if you want more flexibility for dining and access to a town or village, Chabil Mar or another Placenica hotel may be more of what you are looking for. Chabil Mar would be more luxurious than any of the atoll properties. The other option is one of the Northern Cayes like Ambergris Caye - lots of hotel options there, good town for shops and nightlife, and great dining options. Close to the reef too.

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Of the atoll properties, would Turneffe Island Resort be more luxurious --comparatively? We're trying to maximize diving ease with luxury as much as possible.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

Yes

Milton, Delaware
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

From what I am reading in my opinion Chabil Mar is the best mainland based resort since it is so close to the village. It will give you the dining flexibility and access to the true culture of Placencia and Belize.

For feedback about the ease of diving options from Chabil Mar you can contact Avadon. They do several dive packages from Chabil Mar pier.

If your focus is on ease of diving and the restaurant flexibility is the lesser interest than also take a look at Thatch Caye resort. What you will give up is the Belizean culture on any caye since you would be isolated, except when they port you onto the mainland. That is a choice many make and it is, of course, what best suits your interests after all.

You can obtain web sites for both of these entities by googling their names.

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

Thank you everyone for your feedback -- we really appreciate it. We have decided to stay at Chabil Mar, since we want dining flexibility as well as diving. As we have never been to Belize, we are really looking forward to our holiday!

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chabil Mar v. Coco Plum?

I would recommend Chabil Mar hands down! The location is so convenient -where you can walk across the street to go on snorkeling or diving trips - or get picked up on Chabil's dock. Coco Plum is much larger and much further away from the village - not making it very convenient. Chabil is a short golf cart ride into the village. It is very safe - and a small resort - but not too small. The grounds/pools are kept immaculate - with surroundings of beautiful flowers/landscaping. The rooms are amazing - very spacious. And having the washer/dryer is so convenient! We were just there 2 weeks ago. If you'd like any other recommendations, please let me know - I'm more than happy to help. We relied on TripAdvisor members feedback and it made a huge difference in our trip.