We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

We're going to Placencia next month and were tentatively planning on staying in a private cabana at The Village Inn - not our first choice, but many of the other places we wanted to stay are booked. I've ready through many old posts about theft in bungalows and hotels, and some posts said the Placencia authorities were going to start cracking down.

Our biggest concern is security since we're going to be traveling with a lot of expensive dive gear, camera equipment, etc. So now I'm starting to rethink The Village Inn. Even the owner admitted they had multiple break ins last December.

Can anyone give me an update as to the security issue at the present time? I know theft can happen anytime, anywhere. I'm just trying to decide if we're taking too big of a risk staying in a small bungalow on the beach.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
1. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

My wife and I just returned from two months in Placencia.Security is a real problem and the authorites are worthless.The police in Placencia are more corrupt than the criminals.My wife was attacked and held at knife point on the veranda of our cabana although we chased him away it was a frightening experience.We have been going to Placencia for 14 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.I hope the residents of the village get serious about getting a real police force and get rid of the thugs that run the department.Make sure the place you stay has private 24 hour security.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

Not that it really matters (because I'm sure theft is everywhere), but where did you stay when your wife was held at knife point?

We've decided against The Village Inn and I think we've narrowed it down to Westwind Hotel or Laru Beya. I understand thay are completely different in what they offer. One is a 175 sq ft room, the other is a massive suite with full kitchen, etc. which is why it costs more than twice what Westwind cost. We just have to decide if the added security and space is worth the $.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
107 posts
3. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

Wow. We had been planning a two week trip to Belize next winter. Reading this has made me reconsider staying in Placencia. Do most places in Placencia and Maya Beach advertise on their websites if they have 24 hour security? Perhaps San Pedro would be a safer choice for our first trip to Belize.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

I don't want to minimize the problem of crime anywhere in the world, especially in Belize, where we do our best to provide a memorable travel experience for all the right reasons. Petty theft of personal property are crimes of opportunity-don't leave items unattended on the beach or your windows open or doors unlocked when not in your room. Some hotels are more vigilant than others and have security on property. Most visitors to Belize report feeling a very comfortable degree of personal safety

and find Belizeans to be very friendly and welcoming. My apologizes to those few who have had items taken while visiting. We are doing our best to weed out the few scoundrels and unresponsive police.

Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

I would stay at Laru Beya; wonderful and very secure.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
6. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

I second Laru Beya. Very secure there; you can't go wrong.

Changing the subject:

While I'd never downplay the seriousness of crime, this is 2011, and crime is a worldwide plague. Honest efforts are being made to stop crime; as a matter of fact, we actually did some police training today at the Flats. I do echo that crime is usually just those lame scumbag opportunists that happen to see an easy score. Common sense does seem to shut them down.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
7. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

I do not want to deter anyone from visiting Placencia,the time we spend there has always been enjoyable and we have grown to love all the people of the village,and many of their children.The incident I spoke of was indeed isolated,and no doubt perpetrated by a thug from another village,but the fact is it did happen and was looked on by the police as just another petty crime.I would like to see them take armed assualt a bit more seriously.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

you need to better understand how things work in third world countries. cops are poorly trained and poorly paid. corruption is a pay supplement pure and simple. lack of training means they are ineffective. this is true the world over. not defending it, its just reality. there are good solid cops in belize but reality is reality

Miami
1 post
9. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

I checked at South Waters Resort for availability and they still have some availability. South Waters Resort has 4 beach cabanas. They are very quiet and I have never hear of them having any problems with break ins or theft. Its a beautiful place. I've stayed there for the last 3 years that I have been going to Placencia. Nice people, good food quiet surroundings.

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
120 reviews
10. Re: Update on security in Placencia - theft, break ins, etc.

We are planning on staying at Chabil Mar in June - they do have security - of course reading these posts is a concern.