We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkling in placencia

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
snorkling in placencia

hi katievalk or splash ralph our anyone who can healp me re sn may be 1st wk aprilalso cost offorkling around placencia areanovice type snorkler in boat with guide

Belize
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkling in placencia

Barrier Reef sites offer some of the best diving and snorkeling in southern Belize. The reef is about an hour away, but it's totally worth the ride.

Sites like South Water Caye is about an hour and fifteen minutes from Placencia and it's ON the reef itself, making for a wonderful snorkeling experience.

If you don't mind the hour + forty-five minutes boat ride, Glover's Reef Atoll is located about half-hour outside the reef, and may be THE best site to snorkel in southern Belize.

On any given day, as long as you're on a big boat, it's a rather smooth ride to Glovers Reef!!!

Snorkeling trips cost anywhere between US$80.00 - USZ$100.00

Dive Shop Options : AVADON DIVERS - www.avadondiversbelize.com

Splash Dive Shop - www.splashbelize.com

SeaHorse Dive Shop - www.belizescuba.com

Edited: 11:57 am, March 08, 2011
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkling in placencia

Hi Ace. Cost depends on whether you are looking for a private trip with a guide or joining a regular scuba/snorkel trip. On a regular trip to Laughing Bird Caye the cost is $US 65 per person which includes the guide, park fees, and lunch - snorkel half way around the caye before lunch and do the rest after lunch. Laughing Bird Caye is a National Park, a World Heritage Site and a great place to snorkel. You can find a discription of the snorkel site on www.splashbelize.com

Regards

Ralph

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkling in placencia

Ralph... I read a posting or two that stated that LBC was loaded with trash. I guess that doesn't matter if you're in the water all of the time and the trash is ashore.

That said, what might you consider the best 5 snorkel locations from Stann Creek south and out to the barrier reef?

Thanks for your time...

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkling in placencia

The posts that say LBC is loaded with trash are greatly exaggerated. Unfortuately, we do get periods of trash on all of the cayes at the beginning of the rainy season when the rivers rise and clean up the river banks.

That said, my partner Patty organizes a clean up at Laughing Bird Caye every year where she gets a lot of the local businesses to provide boats, fuel, lunches, etc and we take about 100 school kids out to Laughing Bird Caye to do a cleanup. Some of the kids from our Splash Dive Center Kids Club (we have a program where we teach local kids that can't afford diving lessons so that they can have an opportunity for future employment in the toursism business) and some of them give presentations to the others about the importance of the enviornment and how the eco-system works). We do this on or about Earth Day.

The rangers do a good job of keeping the trash picked up and make sure that everyone takes back everything they brought to the caye.

Belize
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkling in placencia

Cat-Sails,

Also a World Heritage Site, South Water Caye Marine Reserve is one of the best sites to dive and snorkel in Belize, and it is clearly THE best site in southern Blize. The best part of the reserve runs for over four miles and is located on the Barrier Reef itself.

LBC is ok, but because of proximity to shore, most operators chose that spot and it can get a little crowded at times.

Other sites along the Barrier Reef are places like Silk Cayes, Ranguana, and the Sapodillas...

& if you ever get the chance to go, Glovers Reef Atoll will blow your mind!!! Definitely worth the 1hr & 45mins boat ride to get there!!!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkling in placencia

Not only due proximity. It is a very good place to snorkel and is a national park because of that. It is also a great place to have a beach barbecue and it has a good palapa with picknic tables and barbue pits. I never get tired of Laughing Bird Caye

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkling in placencia

I was snorkling and diving with Splash for two weeks in Feb. and Laughing Bird Caye was beautiful. There are two park rangers who live out there and keep the island the the facilities very clean. There wasn't even sand in the restrooms. Snorkling was great fun. I totally recommend Splash. They took great care of me!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkling in placencia

Ralph: I could not locate the description of Laughing Bird Caye snorkel trip on your site. Can you provide link to same?

Also, I'll be on a charter sail boat so I'm trying to match my time with sailing conditions with snorkeling locations... thus, my request for the top five spots inside the reef and south of Stann River from your experience so I can reach a majority of them.

Thanks-in-advance...

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkling in placencia

http://www.laughingbird.org/

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkling in placencia

You can find it at www.splashbelize.com/inner-reef-snorkeling.

Regards

Ralph

Get answers to your questions about Placencia