We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

We are going to Belize Feb. 21 and staying 8 days at the 3 Igaunas in Placencia (a house). We are deciding whether to fly, rent a car or hire a driver. It is about a 3 1/2 hour drive. Wondered if anyone can tell us if it is easy and safe to drive to Placenica. Is it difficult to get to? As nice as it would be to fly it will be expensive for us and we thought it might be nice to have a car but not sure if we should be venturing off on our own or need a guide.

61 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

It's easy & safe to drive to Placencia. All the main highways are paved and well sign-posted -- it would be hard to get lost, though you should still get a map.

When you exit the airport onto the Northern Highway, Belize City will be to your right. You could go there and then get on the Western Highway for the trip to Belmopan where you turn south to Placencia.

But if you don't need to go to Belize City for any reason, then from the airport access road you should turn left onto the Northern Highway, go for about 8 km (5 miles), then left again onto the Boom Road -- this is a short cut to the Western Highway. There is a roundabout (traffic circle) at the junction with the Western Highway -- go right and it's about 35 miles to Belmopan.

A car will be handy in Placencia.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

I wouldn't rent a car for that long since the rates are quite high. You could always take a shuttle there, rent a car for a day or two there, and fly back. That way you get to see the Hummingbird Highway, and the coast from above.

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

My husband and I went to Placencia for our honeymoon. You will LOVE it! The roads in and around Placencia are not paved. I don't know about the major highways because we did not drive, but the main roads in that area (based on getting to/from excursions and the town) aren't paved. We flew down to Placencia which was quick and easy. I think the flight was 40 minutes long with one stop.

Placencia is beautiful and relaxing! Enjoy your trip!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

JLNairn,

I don't know when you were in Placencia, but the road into Placencia was paved last year.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

My first advise would be to detour around Belize City just because it's congested, confusing, and nothing to see until you get well way from the coastal plains

The airport is in Ladyville, about 10 miles northwest of Belize City. It's closer and much faster to turn left on the Northern Highway and then left to Burell Boom, then south to Hattieville and right on the Western Hwy.

You don't want to take the Coastal Highway as it is very rough gravel and rock and not scenic. Continue on the Western Hwy., hopefully stopping at the Belize Zoo, and then on to Belmopan (the capital city) and turn south on the Hummingbird Hwy. which is paved and in great condition. There's lots of turns and a few one-lane bridges as the road skirts the edges of the Maya Mountains, but it's faster and the scenery is beautiful.

You can stop for ice cream at the Mennonite settlement of "Over the Top" where you cross over the mountains.

As you get closer to the coast, the mountains fade away and you go past some orange juice processing plants and then before you get to Dangiga you will turn right on the Southern Hwy. There's not much to see or do in Dangriga. It was settled by Garinagu (Black Caribs) who never tried to develop tourism.

Continuing south on the Southern Hwy. you would eventually turn left on the road to Riversdale and then right to Placencia. The road deadends on the Placencia peninsula. It's a great beach area and fairly close to interesting places like Punta Gorda, Mayan ruins, wildlife viewing, etc.

Overall, Belize is safe and the people are friendly and helpful. Some of my photos...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Highway info..

belize.com/articles/drivers-guide-to-beautif…

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

Ah, we were there in 2009. Must've just missed it :-)

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

Hi All, I has a follow up question on this topic..

I have read that there are shared shuttles that go from Belize to Placencia, can these be found in the Airport? Has anyone used these? Do you need to pre-book?

Any comments appreciated!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

An option for getting to many destinations is a transfer service. Here are some companies that offer a transfer/shuttle service:

a) Belize VIP Transfer Service: http://www.belizetransfers.com

b) George & Esther Moralez Travel Service:

http://www.gettransfers.com

c) William’s Belize Shuttle: www.parrot-nest.com/belize_shuttle.html

d) Belize Shuttles and Transfers:

http://www.belizeshuttlesandtransfers.com/

e) Gibson’s Tours and Transfers:

www.gibsonstoursandtransfers.com/index.html

f) ABC Shuttle (contact details on the BelizeBus site: http://belizebus.wordpress.com/)

Contact each one for prices. You usually have to pre-book.

On the above list, William always gets good comments, and Belize Shuttles and Transfers operates from the airport.

Methuen...
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

I don't have any helpful info, but my husband and I will be there at the same time as you and we're from Massachusetts, as well! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport

I, too, am traveling the same route, during the same time frame to Belize. I leave tomorrow 2/19/11 - Home 2/27/11. I plan to take a bus from the Municipal Airport (which is close to the International Airport), in Belize City. I will take the Express Bus - not sure but it might stop once. It takes about 5 + hours on the bus. Traveling to Placencia this way no one misses the views. If someone drives then they cannot enjoy the views. You only live once, so go for it! Many thanks to all that contributed their expertise. Bon Voyage...

Reply to: Getting To Placencia from the Belize Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted