We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garbage in Placencia

Washington
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Garbage in Placencia

Hi, I just got back from Belize and haven't had a chance to post a trip report yet, but I wanted to warn visitors about the state of Placencia beaches for those arriving soon. We stayed in Placencia Aug. 13-17 and were horrified at the condition of the beaches. We heard many different stories from locals but the fact is, there is garbage (mostly plastic) down the entire beach. While we were there, no one was picking it up and the local garbage truck was broken. There must have been some work done before we got there because there were stuffed garbage bags along the beach. The problem is, the garbage just keeps coming from the sea. In my opinion, the garbage condition where we stayed was severe but we still enjoyed our stay. If you plan on going, you may want to find out the current garbage condition. Locals said the beach was better up north, so you may want to look into maya beach area instead. They said it gets worse further south...and I do know that the government is trying to get help cleaning it up...but there was no one cleaning it up while we were there. Like I said, it was VERY bad and disappointing...the condition in Caye Caulker was much better.

Placencia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Garbage in Placencia

Hello Kellya, I have owned property here since '89 and in those days I could clean the beach and not a bit of plastic would be back for a month or so. This is the sad state of our ocean pollution, Belize is in the lee of the Caribbean and we get it all, whether it is coming from flooding in Honduras, Carnival cruise ship is notariously the worst offender of dumping at sea, which is the cruise ship coming in to Belize.

We, that live here, were all appauled at this time, I was feeling that a ship must of emptied a dump at sea.

Sorry to hear no one was cleaning where you were at, we were out there morning till night, as were many of the hotels. I supplied bags and anyone that filled one would be paid $ per bag, even you could of helped with that.

It is getting cleaned up, our village council has approval for a new garbage truck.

The village is certainly accepting donations for "clean and green" through the Placencia BTIA. They clean mostly the village, further north, we all try to clean our own and neighbors, but there a many absentee landowners. We are doing our best. Normally Placencia is clean, you just caught it after the worst time ever.

Milton, Delaware
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Garbage in Placencia

Thank you Captain Ann for that post. I have visited Placencia on many many occasions and have seen how hard the residents work to keep the beach clean.

Terrific to hear that the village is getting a new dump truck. That sure will help.

Placencia
3 posts
3. Re: Garbage in Placencia

Yes you are correct it was rather bad and disappointing, but its not due to local placencia residents, the trash came across the ocean all at once from wherever maybe honduras or someone from far away cayes maybe. It was the first time Ive seen this happen.

But fortunately the garbage has decreased by 80 % now, in October, just saw some kids from a church youth group walk to the ends of the peninsula this weekend picking up all the remaining plastic garbage. They did a good job.

So this is not the usual in placencia, it just happened all at once, the beaches here are always kept clean otherwise and still the best beach in Belize. Beachfront residents and community members help has helped clear up the mess finally!

4. Re: Garbage in Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 09, 2009