We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

Zurich-Switzerland
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

Mid March we (a family with two kids aged 6 and 3 years) intend to travel from Playa del Carmen to Placencia and are now wondering, what the best way would be. Is there a direct bus connection over the border? Where are the best places to make a stop on our way? We would be greatful to hear your recent experiences! Thanks.

MI
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

Hi,

After alot of research, we are doin the same thing. We re a family of 5, 2 adults & 3 teenagers. We are planning on ariving in Cancun at 9:05 am, taking the bus to Playa Del Carmen, playing at the beach for the day, and taking the Express bus at 23hr or 24 hr to Chetmal. I read it only takes about 4 hrs, and you sleep while on the bus. In Chetumal we have hired a transfer to Belize City (www.gettransfers.com), and from there we are renting a car. I have read alot of great reviews for the transfer. They will meet us at the bus terminal between 4-5am. It really isn't a bad way to go especially if it's your first time to Belize. I didn't want to be waiting for another bus, or miss a bus and delay getting to Placencia. We only have a week to stay. We have booked a place to stay at Laru Beya - great reviews & reasonable. The children have the option to swim in the pool or the sea, and we have a full kitchen to utilize! My teenagers are always hungry! We are returning to Cancun the day before flying back home and staying at an all inclusive for a night - just so my children can see what that's like. Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Belize
Belize
Central America
Zurich-Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

Hi, thanks for your quick answer - especially for the link to the transfer-company sounds very interesting. May I ask you where you found the information about the bus schedule from P.d.C. to Belize City? I couldn't get any reliable infos regaring the departure and arrival times. We thought about taking the bus to Chetumal rsp. Corozal, then staying there overnight. From Corozal we either take the bus to belize city (municipal airport) and then the plane to Placencia or doing the trip all by plane.

In Placencia we will stay in one of the cottages of "Oneworld-Rentals" (www.oneworldplacencia) - close to the beach and the village and, most important, with our own kitchen. Their owner and manager is my sister! Have a good trip and enjoy your stay in Placencia!

MI
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

Hi,

I had emailed the Belize tourism board regarding the bus schedule & they emailed me back with the schedule. I tried to check into one world rentals, but they were already booked. I hope you have a great time in Placencia as well! We are definitely excited!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Corozal
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

Hi,

I usually travel from Cancun to Corozal but I don't take the bus anymore I hire a private transfer. Belize VIP Transfer Services they are really nice reliable and more comfortable than taking the bus. It takes 4 hours from Playa del Carmen to Corozal with them and they even make stops upon request. The last time I asked if they could stop me in Tulum so I could see the ruins and they did it for no extra cost.

They go to Placencia as well i highly reccomend their service. Here is their website, www.belizetransfers.com check with them and they could help with your travel arrangements.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

I have used Belize Transfers in the past and would also recommend them. They pick us up at the bus terminal in Chetumal. $40.00US to cross the border and go to the airstrip in Corozal. To be picked up in Playa del Carmen is $US350.00 for 1-4 people. Way to expensive for me. I'll stick with the bus. Only about US$20.00 per person to get to Chetumal.

6. Re: Travelling from Playa del Carmen (Mex) to Placencia (BZE)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 28, 2009