We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation

Hi,

I am looking at a trip to Tobacco Cays Paradise. My question is booking transportation from the airport to the boat, and which boat transfers should I look at?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Usually, boats to TC depart from Riverside Café in Dangriga, but ask the inn you booked into what they suggest and can arrange for you

Edited: 8:21 am, June 02, 2014
Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

From International airport to Dangriga...

The easiest way might be to fly. Check the websites of Tropic Air and Maya Island Air for schedules and fares.

The cheapest way is by public bus. Get a taxi to the bus terminal in Belize City, and get a bus to Dangriga -- depending on the bus line, you might have to change in Belmopan.

Another easy way is to hire a transfer service. They will meet you at the airport and drive you in a/c comfort to your destination. The BelizeBus website has a list of transfer services. Contact a few to get prices.

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

Thanks everyone, I should have been more specific. We would fly into Dangriga, we would need transport to the waterfront and then a water taxi to Tobacco Caye.

Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

I wrote Tobacco Caye Paradise and they said to just get someone down by the waterfront. That is a bit scary for type A personality that would like to have a reservation in hand. Just sayin'.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

LOL They are 100% correct, although I would have worded it differently.. When you leave the plane in Dangriga take a taxi. This will cost you around $3. Tell the taxi driver you are going to the dock at the riverside to take a water taxi to Tobacco Caye. This is where the boats taking passengers to the caye dock up. The cost is $20 pr person, one way. The boats have no scheduled departure time and go when they have enough passengers. The first boats usually leave at around 9:30 and the latest I have seen is around 1:30.

Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

Then, you just hope and pray they come back for you?

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation

Assuming that Post #6 refers to the return trip from Tobacco Caye: after your stay, you will do the same thing in reverse. Your hosts will tell you when the water taxi will pick you up at their dock; the water taxi will take you and the other passengers back to the dock at the riverside in Dangriga and you can take a taxi back to the Dangriga airport to continue your vacation.

Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation

Thank you!

Kent, Washington...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation

I am arriving Dangriga by air and need to get to Almond Beach resort just South of Hopkins.

What travel options do I have for two people. The hotel has a transfer fro $125 total R/T.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation

There are usually taxis waiting at the airport in Dangriga. There is no set fare to Hopkins, but around $50 is normal. $125 return to Almond Beach seems fair.