We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Dangriga???

Which Dangriga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
One month in Dangriga???

Hi,

My husband and I (both 62) are thinking about spending the month of February in Belize. We would prefer not to rent a car but use public transportation and tour operators to get around the country. We want to stay in one place and make day or maybe overnight trips to see the sights. We need, therefore, to be in a town so that we can walk to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. and also pick up buses or tours. I found a house for rent in Dangriga and I'm wondering if that might be a good location for us. We're not interested in night life or upscale restaurants, but would like to sort of "blend in" with local life.

Does anyone have any experience with Dangriga? Might you have other suggestions? I would really appreciate any advice. We've stayed in other countries for a month before, but we've never been to Belize. Thanks!!!

Terri

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Despite my harsh words about the appearance of the town of Dangriga, I want to point out that no matter where a person grows up, there is beauty and wonderment for those who have the motivation to seek it out.

Sometimes you have only to took up and wonder.

One such native of Dangriga is Arlie Petters, who's promise and imagination led him to study in the United States in his mid-teens where he became a noted mathematician and astrophysicist. He currently is a professor Duke University.

In his own words...

"Imagine majestic night skies filled with sparkling points of starlight scattered like diamonds across the heavens. These were the evening visual experiences of my childhood in the tiny Central American town of Dangriga, Belize. I constantly asked questions about the universe, oftentimes causing my elders to worry about my obsession: Does space continue forever? How did the universe come about? Why do we exist? Is there a God? This early exposure to the profound beauty and mystery of the cosmos has since gripped and steered my intellectual journey."

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Check out www.belizebus.wordpress.com, I know we have some real bus experts here who will jump on me if this is not the best link, and give you the rights one.

Buses are cheap and fun and reasonably reliable. Express buses where available are best for long journeys as they have ac. All buses are good for meeting people. We only have five roads essentially, so routes are very simple.

I would suggest you spend some time around Punta Gorda, Hickatee Cottages is a nice place to stay (small jungle resort) and Kate and Ian have some very cool and inexpensive cultural tours, based around buses.

Dangriga is not a nasty place by any means. I go there often to visit a school I look after there and to theregional Education department which is based there. The people are friendly, but it is not a tourist oriented place. It has a pretty good veg market.

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Thanks for the bus info - we really do enjoy taking public transportation - lets us see the local life and provides an adventure!! We definitely will not lie down in the road!!!

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One month in Dangriga???

The cottages look great - we'll defintely check them out.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: One month in Dangriga???

The normal buses, called chicken buses by some, even though I've never seen a chicken on them, should be around $7bz for the Belize City to Cayo route.

holman
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Hi Terri and Jakes,

I go back and forth to Dangriga at least every 3 months, have made a few friends and I think what you are doing (renting a house in Grigra) is a great idea. You have great acces to the bus station in town as well as the water Taxi in So. Riverside. May I recomment Captain Munch, he is fair and reasonable, If you mention my name he will more give you a discount to Tobacco cayes, which is a beautiful serene place. You may want to rent a bike since its part of their transportation and of course the taxis are always ready $5.00 belize dollars. Dec. - May there are many Tourist visiting Griga.

I will be there myself during that time. Hope to meet u. Delilah

17. Re: One month in Dangriga???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 15, 2011