We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weather!!

We are arriving in San Ignacio on June 11 and the weather is saying 100% thunderstorms- what types of things can we do in weather like this (predicted for the week) Does this mean we cannot go to the ruins?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather!!

Hopefully the report is not accurate, will change, will not blanket the country and only rain in certain areas. Was suppose to rain all this week, but hasn't. Yes, you can still visit sites and do many other trips. The rain and air are warm. Bring a lightweight raincoat, just in case.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weather!!

Concur with Katie. I live in the western part of Belize and we have had very light showers over the past few days that don't last long at all or ruin the day. The weather is still very warm and enjoyable. Be sure to bring a pair of decent sneakers that do well is slightly moist areas and you should enjoy the ruins fine.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather!!

This past week our forecast made it look like we were in for way more rain that e actually got.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather!!

Generally speaking, forecasts are accurate most of the time, not 100%, BUT take note of the wording -- some showers, a few thunderstorms, isolated showers, 10% probability of rain -- forecasters don't know exactly when and where it's going to rain. I live in Belize don't even own a raincoat or umbrella.

All I can say is that we seldom get rain that lasts all day -- it might be heavily overcast, but rain usually comes in brief showers. And rain doesn't go on for days & days. And rain often falls overnight and the days are clear & sunny. Although, if a tropical system affects the country, there could be lots of rain.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather!!

Generally speaking, I find the forecasts for Cayo wrong most of the time, actually...to the point that I refuse to look unless there's a hurricane or tropical depression coming. They always say rain here. I wish it would rain as much as they say it does, haha. I wouldn't worry about the rain because rarely does it stop you from doing what you want, and cloudy days are awesome for hiking.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: weather!!

thank you so much!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather!!

We had a really quick pour today. It lasted maybe 10 minutes...and we were all thankful because it cooled things down, and watered the campus.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather!!

We just got back from a trip, and the weather forecast was for rain every day. We only got rain at night and were able to go through with all our plans. Hopefully you'll have the same luck.

Akron, Ohio, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather!!

During my second visit to Belize we were at the airport to get a rental car, and the skies opend up. it rained quite hard dropping what seemed like a couple of inches of rain in about what seemed like 15-20 minutes. there was about 4inches of water in the airport parking lot after the rain had slowed to a light rain. By the time we were about half way to Altun Ha ruins the sun had come out and things were drying out nicely. The only problem with weather in Belize is after the rain.... the Mosquitoes are everywhere after the rain(especially in forrested areas and pools of standing water(like old cenotes and sinkholes). My advice is to go, have fun playing in the rain, as it is warm, and rarely seems to last more than 30-1hr at most. be sure to bring a Deet heavy insect repellant...... DO NOT wear perumes or fragrant deodorants.... they seem to attract the mosquitoes for some reason. i have vacationed in Belize many times and have never had a dissapointing or bad stay. the people are the main reason i love Belize. of all the people i have encountered in my travels, Belizeans are the happiest, and welcoming people i have ever had the privilage of spending time with.

10. Re: weather!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2016