We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where should we stay?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
117 reviews
where should we stay?

Love some of the more tropical places to stay but I'm wondering if we are going to be doing tours if we should just stay some where simple and in town for convience.

Hoping to stay 3 days in San Ignacio area and 1 in Tikal the off to AC

Would like to go to ATM, Barton caves, horseback ride and I think im missing one ruin

Want to spend less than $150 a night for lodging

Any suggestions?

I was looking at lower dover and San ignacio resort and a few others

Want something with our own bathroom and maybe AC for hubby

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: where should we stay?

We will be staying at the Midas Resort for similar reasons. For mid January, the deluxe rooms are $99/night via Expedia.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: where should we stay?

Both San Ignacio Resort and Midas resort are good options, in Tikal I like Tikal Jungle Lodge.

Great to split your stay in two different locations, have fun!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: where should we stay?

Wow midas looks nice

Thsnks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
331 reviews
4. Re: where should we stay?

Here's another 1 to consider:

www.aguadabelize.com

It's in Santa Elena, across the bridge from San Ignacio. It has a nice little pool, ac, kitchenettes in some rooms, different bed configurations, an onsite restaurant, and friendly, helpful owners. Area tour ops will pick you up there without extra cost.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
5. Re: where should we stay?

Depending on what your accommodation preferences are if choosing between San Ignacio Resort Hotel and Lower Dover you are comparing apples and oranges. Both are great places to stay again depending on what experience you are trying to have here in Belize. Lower Dover is located in Unitedville about 25-30 minutes from San Ignacio Town. It is remotely located on a very well kept private area about a mile or so off of the main road. None of there cabanas are air conditioned and some offer inside and private bathroom facilities. All off there cabanas have outside showers which are very nice. San Ignacio Hotel is a Luxury Resort located in San Ignacio and is about a 5 minute walk from down town, local shops and restaurants. It is located on top of a hill on a 17 acre private estate. All of the rooms have air conditioning, private baths and all of the amenities you expect to find in a Luxury Hotel. Lower Dover is more of a Jungle Lodge where as SIRH is a Luxury Hotel. So again both would be great accommodations depending on what kind of experience you wish to have here in Belize.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
331 reviews
6. Re: where should we stay?

Small detail - according to their webiste, at least 1 of Lower Dover's cabins has ac.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: where should we stay?

I love the idea of jungle lodge but it seems like I would be traveling too other locations for site seeing and wouldn't be enjoying the jungle except in morning and evenings.

What I like about spraying in town is options to try different restaurants

So hard to decide

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
331 reviews
8. Re: where should we stay?

If you're not interested in having time to enjoy the jungly surroundings, then it's probably better to stay in/near town. We absolutely loved Macal River Camp and were happy to have some time there to take advantage of canoing, hiking, and bird watching from our hammocks (toucans, aricaris, motmots, parrots!!).

www.belizecamp.com

I get it that you want more amenities than that, but we wouldn't have enjoyed the isolation and jungle if we had wanted to be gone on tours every single day.

My best advice is to just choose and not look back - with an open mind you'll be happy either way and if you love Belize you can try the other option another trip. Happy trails!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: where should we stay?

I love the outdoors but there is so much to see and do. I don't usually have enough time to just kick back and enjoy lodging

But whatever we choose we will have an awesome time

Not able to book tickets till 2014. But want to be ready when they come on line.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
331 reviews
10. Re: where should we stay?

When you choose lodging that has some of the best hiking, canoing, and birding in the country, the 'lodge' itself is a destination. :-)

We usually have 3 or 4 weeks each visit in Belize and are grateful for the opportunity to get to know the environments and connect with the locals in ways that short trips wouldn't allow. Sometimes we choose lodgings that are just a decent place to sleep but most of the time wherever we stay provides a big part of why we're in a country in the 1st place. We've loved them all!

Here's a list of the places we've stayed in Belize and around Tikal including reservations for our upcoming spring visit.

Tropical Ed Center at the Zoo

Trek Stop west of San Ignacio in San José Succotz x2

Macal River Camp near Chaa Creek

Aguada Hotel in Santa Elena (across the bridge from San Ignacio)

Ian Anderson’s Caves Branch south of Belmopan

Jaguar Inn at Tikal

Tikal Inn at Tikal x3

La Casona de la Isla in Flores

Mesa de los Mayas in Flores

Hospedaje Serpiente in El Remate

Cockscomb Preserve (Private Cabin)

Toucan Sittee in Sittee River Village (no longer open) x2

Hopkins Inn x2

Glover’s Atoll Resort x2

One World Rentals in Placencia

Nature Resort in the Community Baboon Sanctuary