We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Market hours

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday Market hours

We're staying at Gaia this weekend and the resort is sending a driver to pick us up at BZE Airport. Our flight gets in at 10:00 am and I understand the drive is about 3 hours to Gaia. I wanted to see if we could stop at the market in San Ignacio on the way. Does that make sense? How late is the market open on Saturday? The only other planned activity (we're flying to San Pedro on Tuesday AM) is a day trip to Caracol. I'm afraid I put this trip together quickly and don't know much about the area, other that I really needed to recharge my batteries after a very hectic time at work. I have been reading this forum and the one on San Pedro, which has been very helpful! But since we are coming down somewhat on a whim it will be a trip of discovery...

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday Market hours

Good afternoon, You will actually have to Pass the intersection to your accommodations and drive about 20 minutes west to get the the San Ignacio Market. The market starts about 5:00 am and lasts all day well into the late afternoon. However the earlier you reach the better market items you are willing to find. SO to answer your question about the market, logistically it is not on the way to Gaia. It is pass the Gaia intersection about 20 minutes west going into town. Gaia Riverlodge is not located in San Ignacio Town near the market but in the Mountain Pine Ridge about 15 miles off of the main highway.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio Market
San Ignacio Market
216 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday Market hours

Thank you! I'm not familiar with the geography at all. That's a huge help. Perhaps it's still possible...

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday Market hours

Have you considered a stop at the zoo? It's really unique and right on the way. I don't think I'd go that far out of my way for the SI market.

www.belizezoo.org

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday Market hours

The zoo is on my list so that might be a great first stop. Thanks for the suggestion.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday Market hours

I love the Saturday market, it is the major social event of the week. You will see the cultural diversity of Belize, have a chance to sample local street food, and view some more than likely unknown fruits, and vegetables.

It may be a little out of the way, and I would advise arranging this with whoever is doing your transfer. I am sure there will be an extra charge, but they could take the Cristo Rey Road back to Gaia.

You could stop at the zoo on your way back to the airport to catch your flight to San Pedro.

Edited: 11:14 pm, October 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
76 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday Market hours

I ended up going with a stop at the Zoo, since I will be flying out of Maya flats to go to San Pedro. Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to figure out what to do on the second day. We're going to Caracol one day but I still have one day unplanned. Any suggestions?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday Market hours

You will be passing right by the market on your way to Maya Flats.

Everyone loves ATM Cave, but you are closer to Barton Creek Cave from Gaia. On the same day you could also go ziplining at Calico Jacks, and visit the Greenhills Butterfly Ranch, as well as Barton Creek Cave which is situated in the Amish Mennonite community of Belize. You enter this cave on canoe.

All the best

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday Market hours

In addition to the ATM cave,

http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

here's a link to another, less-visited amazing cave option in Cayo: http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday Market hours

I'd recommend ATM or Calico Jack's. Actun Chapat, like Hopefulist mentioned, is a great day of adventure too. If you like waterfalls, you can spend a day at Big Rock Falls, which is a really nice spot, and it's a short walk/ride from Gaia.

10. Re: Saturday Market hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 22, 2014