We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

I am travelling to Belize for 10 days, so far I have a plane ticket and 2 nights in Tikal Park. I would like to start my journey in San Ignacio, need a hotel for 2 nights, downtown or close, something safe, any recommendation? Also, Belize Shuttles offers shared transport to San Ignacio for a very reasonable price; do I need to reserve it? They advertise that it runs almost every hour but it also says "based on availability" does it mean they might not have a space on the bus or they don't go if there are not enough people? Thank you for your help.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

I would book the shuttle - I haven't heard of them having that sort of frequency so I'd let them know your schedule and desire. Aguada Hotel is safe and a great value; it has a pool, ac, and kitchenettes in some rooms. It's located in Santa Elena, through a neighborhood and across the bridge into San Ignacio.

www.aguadabelize.com

There are some recommended spots right in town, too, but I don't have personal experience with them. You can check out the downloads on Lan Sluder's website, below - I really trust his ratings and opinions.

www.belizefirst.com

In case you're in the market for info on other transportation pieces, check out this cool website:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Happy trails!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

Many nice options in or near SI in town or jungle lodges

Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

Thank you for all the info. How far is this hotel from SI downtown, can you walk there?

Is there a place in the area to rent a bicycle for a day?

If you take a taxi, do you negotiate/confirm fare before you get in? Or the rates are fixed?

Thank you for your help.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
167 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

Saw your post and would be interested in using to. However, I cannot find a single review for them on tripadvisor. That scares me a bit.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

I'd google 'san ignacio jungle lodge' for a list, like Katie was saying. Booking ahead of time for shuttles is the only way. I've never heard of an hourly shuttle. William's Belize Shuttle is the best, and is way cheaper than a taxi; have used him many times myself. The Aguada is a short cab ride from downtown. Around 5 minutes. They are on Trip Advisor.

Pacz has bikes to rent. Bikes are expensive, just like vehicles, because the roads are rough. With taxis, negotiate, and get the price, in Belize dollars, before even thinking of getting in the taxi. There are some downtown that are brutal, and charge $10us a mile. Avoid those at all costs. Some are $1bz a mile, as they should be. When you get off the bus, you can walk a block to the middle of downtown, where the taxis are better priced, and if you find the 'collectivo' for your area, you'll pay next to nothing.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

We enjoyed the walk from the Aguada into San Ignacio to buy fruit and baked goods for breakfast and picnics. It's through a small neighborhood and across the bridge. It's close enough that tour providers don't charge for pickup (at least Pacz didn't when we did the ATM cave trip). Taxis are easy and convenient, though.

Chicago
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

Thank you guys for your help.

After visiting Tikal I am planning on taking a bus back to Belize and stay at Caye Caulker for a couple days, can you please recommend a hotel?

I read that for the best beach you need to go to Placencia so thinking of spending my last 4 days there, maybe even splurge a bit, looking for a great place on the beach, it would be great if it offered bicycles or kayaks

Thank you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

We just got back from Belize a couple of days ago. We stayed at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel in San Ignacio. It was very nice, and was a very short walk to town.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

I like Caye Caulker Condos. They are right near the split, and have a small pool, and a party roof.

10. Re: Hotel recommendation for solo traveler/shuttle from BZE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, September 15, 2014