We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

My wife and I will be staying in San Ignacio in Jan. What is the best way to get to Xunantunich. Could we just take a cab, and have him wait or are there cabs waiting to take you back to San Ignacio, and at what cost.

Thanks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

You could have a cab wait or you could take your chances there would be 1 waiting when you want to make the return trip; how likely that is would depend on season, time of day, and luck. The good news is that the buses run back and forth between San Ignacio and San José Succotz so if there isn't a taxi you could just walk down the hill, take the hand-cranked ferry across the Mopan, and catch a bus heading toward SI. You could just take a bus in the 1st place if you don't mind the mile walk uphill from the ferry to the site. Happy trails!

Regina, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

Thank you for the info

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

There should be plenty of taxis passing coming from the border. I don`t think you would have to make them wait for you. It also should not cost a ton of money. Not 100% sure, but I would guesstimate less than $20bzd.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

You need to realize that the taxis passing from the border aren't going within a mile of the Maya site, though. If you don't mind the walk down the hill from the site to the ferry (it's a nice road with jungly stuff on both sides) then you won't have trouble connecting with a taxi or bus once you've crossed the river. It's likely to be hot, though, so keep that in mind. Happy trails!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

The cab method is common, and not too expensive, but I'd highly recommend doing Xunantunich by horse. Hannah Stables, which is ranked number 1 on TA for things to do in San Ignacio, has great guides and well trained horses. It's a fun day, and you can do the ruins with a guide or on your own. I can't wait to do that again.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

That's a cool idea, Doc - might have to try that sometime.

7. Re: How to get to Xunantunich from San Ignacio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, January 06, 2014