We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

We wer staying in San Ignacio anddefinitely plan to spend one day doing ATM , one day relaxing in San Ignacio exploring Cahal Perch and Iguana preserve ..

Trying to figure out what to do the other one to two days -- is cave tubing really worth $200 for the two of us after ATM? also thinking about canoeing from San Ignacio to Chaa Creek for the day.

We want to do the best stuff but won't have a car and are on somewhat of a budget.

Please advise!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

ATM is a must do, as is the Iguana Hatchery. I'd say the Caracol and MPR are a must. Cave tubing shouldn't be nearly that expensive. You can do it on the way to or from the airport if you have a few hours of time, although you'd need transport. I'd do CP and the Iguana Hatchery on Saturday, and hit the market in the morning. There are plenty of inexpensive things to do.

Have a great time!

Sturgis, Michigan
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

Just got back from a honeymoon in the Cayo district in June and agree with the last post that the Saturday market is worth a visit. We did Canoe the Macal River, and while nice, I think your time and money would be better spent seeing a ruin (we did Xunantunich). Stunning! After ATM, everything else might pale in comparison anyways....it was the highlight of our 10 days (half jungle, half beach). If it's not been too rainy, the MPR tour (Rio On Pool, Rio Frio cave, Thousand Foot Falls, and maybe Big Rock Falls) is a very nice tour. We also did zip lining at Calico Jack's on our way out and LOVED it. If you do that, do the longest tour. We did the intermediate tour and it wasn't nearly long enough :-) Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!!!

boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

Thanks. I am coming from Guatemala and doing Tikal before I get to Belize so wasn't sure how many more ruins I needed :) outside of Cahal Perch and ATM

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

Check out the zip line in Guatemala before you cross the border. Cheaper than Belize

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

A must do in San Ignacio is the Iguana Conservation Project.

The Belize Zoo is also a great activity

6. Re: 3-4 days in San Ignacio-Cayo region - how to spend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 18, 2013