We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport To Tikal

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transport To Tikal

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about going straight to Tikal once we arrive at BZE at around 10am. I was wondering what would be the best way to do this. Should we take a shuttle from the airport to the border ($110) and find another shuttle across the border to take us to Tikal(how much would that be?) or take the shuttle to San Ignacio ($95) then use a tour company for transport from San Ignacio straight to Tikal ($90)? My concern would be if we can find someone across the border to drive us to Tikal in the late afternoon compared to having a driver drive us from San Ignacio and help us with any communication problems at the border. Thanks!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport To Tikal

One more option...

Linea Dorada express bus to Flores departs from Belize City daily at 1:00 pm; US$ 25.00.

The agent in Belize City for this bus line is Mundo Maya Travel located at the Brown Sugar Market Place on North Front Street, Belize City. Phone: (501) 223 1200 / 663 5957.

Email: mundomayatravels@yahoo.com

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport To Tikal

I send my friends to the Linea Dorada that Mr. B. mentions. They've always thanked me. It takes away the hassle of worrying about transfers.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport To Tikal

Yet another option...

Tropic Air has a flight between BC International and Flores

http://www.tropicair.com/

Edited: 10:40 am, May 24, 2012
santa elena cayo...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport To Tikal

Contact Mayan heart tours. They have a base in the Tikal area as well as here in San Ignacio.

Flores, Guatemala
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport To Tikal

I would go for the Tropic Air option.

Currently they have a flight in the afternoon from Belize City International Airport to Flores and returning in the morning from Flores to Belize City everyday. The Island of Flores is just a 1.5 mile distance and Tikal is 45 miles away on a safe and good road. Or fly from Belize City to Flores, do Tikal and drive from Tikal or Flores to San Ignacio.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport To Tikal

Perhaps this is not for everyone.

We took a bus to the border from San Ignacio & negotiated the fare with a cab driver to Tikal and back next day. We wanted a night stay but the excursion from Ignacio had only a day tour and expensive. We stopped at a fruit stand and somewhere in town on the way. We had Tikal all to ourselves after the tourists left enjoying tree top monkeys, toucans, ants and other animals, A cheap but great dinner at an empty restaurant across from the plaza. It was great to have a swimming pool, too. Oh, the howling monkeys talking to each other echoing in the jungle, one right above our room at Tikal Inn in the middle of the pitch dark night(no generator). It scared the hell of us so loud. In the morning tour groups came through to see the big but now quiet monkeys. The taxi driver came to pick us up the next day back to the border. All for ~US$40 for two R/T.

If interested, Jaguar Inn offers the shuttle service.

www.jaguartikal.com/index.php?showPage=360

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport To Tikal

I have been trying to reply your PM but unsuccessful.

It was several years ago but even then we thought it was a great deal. I talked to several cab drivers at the border before a young cab driver with beat up Toyota agreed, At first the road was bumpy and my son & I were worried the car might break down but it kept going fast. It turned out that the driver was from the town we stopped for a break before uphill to Tikal. Maybe he was hungry for business, maybe his home was close, I don't know but it worked out great and quick.

I hope you can find a way at a reasonable cost to Tikal.

Good luck and enjoy Tikal!

8. Re: Transport To Tikal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, June 21, 2013